Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making Quilt Labels by Computer using Freezer Paper

This is the first time I ran across instructions placing fabric and freezer paper together in the printer to make labels.
    Marcus Fabrics - Quilting with the Experts, Vicki Bellino

The complete instructions are at this site:

http://www.marcusfabrics.com/feature...ts/index.shtml
    Has anyone used this method for labels?

I have. Just made sure that the edges of the fabric are not frayed. I have a HP Photomart all in one printer and it works great.

I iron the freezer paper onto the fabric, cut it to 8 1/2 X 11 and then send it through the printer to print my labels

I have a Lexmark printer and I think the lexmark ink is the best. Just heat set with an iron and viola, labels.

Quote Originally Posted by patty48
    I iron the freezer paper onto the fabric, cut it to 8 1/2 X 11 and then send it through the printer to print my labels

I have a Lexmark printer and I think the lexmark ink is the best. Just heat set with an iron and viola, labels.
    This sounds like a quick and inexpensive way to label my quilts. You didn't have any problems with the ink after quilts were washed. :?:

Thanks basicfun & patty48 for the positive feedback!

I would think that the ink would wash off if the fabric wasn't pre-treated. I've only used purchased color-fast fabric sheets.

I have tried my hp photosmart and the Epson which uses the same type of ink as the photo labs and they demonstrate photos in jars of water with no fading and even after heat setting the ink will still wash out of fabrics. You need to treat the fabric with bubblejet set. I have tried for years and nothing else works.

Blog Entries
    I have done this. I cut my freezer paper to 8 1/2x11 and iron my fabric to it. I don't worry if the fabric is the same size, so long as I know where on the sheet I set my printer to print and make sure it covers the fabric. This is a great method, as I can get creative with photoshop and layers as well as type. I have an Epson printer and have had no ink issues.

bzang, what type of epson? And do you wash your labels after you print them. I know all laser printers are ok, but I am on my 4th ink jet and have had the same issue with all of them.

I make my labels this way, too.

The only is differance is that I embroider over the letters.

The ink will wash out. (There is some "stuff" you can treat the fabric with but I can't remember what is called. If used, printing will not wash out and you don't need to embroider)

I'll try to post a couple of my labels done this way. I like the versatility of being able to used differant fonts, etc. I always print the labels the color that will be embroidered over it, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've only used the special backed fabric sheets.. I'm gonna have to give this a try.

Joan they are beautiful. I agree unless you treat your fabric with bubble jet or use a laser printer the ink will wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Joan they are beautiful. I agree unless you treat your fabric with bubble jet or use a laser printer the ink will wash out.
    I'm fascinated with this....but what is "bubble jet"???? Where can you get it?

Shaverg, is that what it is called? Bubblejet set?

Quote Originally Posted by Joan

The ink will wash out. (There is some "stuff" you can treat the fabric with but I can't remember what is called. If used, printing will not wash out and you don't need to embroider)

I'll try to post a couple of my labels done this way. I like the versatility of being able to used differant fonts, etc. I always print the labels the color that will be embroidered over it, too.
    Is the "stuff" called Bubblejet? Where can I find it?
    BTW: Embroidering seemed to add that extra special touch we all want for our quilts. Very nice. :thumbup:

How do you embroider over it? By hand? or by Machine? I just got an embroidery unit with my Bernina and it goes on it's own. How did you do that??? It's sooooo cool.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    You can order it online. It is sometimes hard to find in shops. It is about $16-25 a bottle, depending on where you can find it. You soak your muslin or whatever fabric you will use for your label. Let it dry then iron it onto the freezer paper and print it like you would the printer fabric sheets you would buy anywhere. Even though it is $23 the bottle is really big and it does not take much. It is called bubble jet set and there is also a rinse you can get to, I usually just use the set. Here is the site.

http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/Bubbl...t_2000_s/3.htm

More questions: :?: Do you have a special Internet site that you choose for your labels?

I have an HP Printer...I'm envisioning the freezer paper and fabric wading up somewhere in the printer. Hopefully, you'll tell me this never happened you. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    You can order it online. It is sometimes hard to find in shops. It is about $16-25 a bottle, depending on where you can find it. You soak your muslin or whatever fabric you will use for your label. Let it dry then iron it onto the freezer paper and print it like you would the printer fabric sheets you would buy anywhere. Even though it is $23 the bottle is really big and it does not take much. It is called bubble jet set and there is also a rinse you can get to, I usually just use the set. Here is the site.

http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/Bubbl...t_2000_s/3.htm
    Since that's soooo expensive, I wonder if anyone's painted the surface with "painter's medium" first, let dry, then printed on the fabric?? That might work...I may try it this weekend...

I just hand embroidered the labels. It didn't take very long, I like to do handwork!

I just used the word processing program on my computer, typed what I wanted, made it the right size, picked a font, picked a color and printed on a piece of fabric backed with freezer paper. (the freezer paper is ironed on) Usually, I just print it out on a regular piece of paper to see if it looks okay. It's very easy......

(BTW, my first labels I had "made" at a machine embroidery shop---WOW, now that was expensive......)

I just hand embroidered the labels. It didn't take very long, I like to do handwork!

I just used the word processing program on my computer, typed what I wanted, made it the right size, picked a font, picked a color and printed on a piece of fabric backed with freezer paper. (the freezer paper is ironed on) Usually, I just print it out on a regular piece of paper to see if it looks okay. It's very easy......

(BTW, my first labels I had "made" at a machine embroidery shop---WOW, now that was expensive......)
    The hand embroidery you've done on your labels look very professional! I'm sure it took you hours to complete, but entirely worth the effort.

Now, after answering all these questions I've asked about printer labeling, I'm anxious to try this myself! Thanks everyone! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Blog Entries
    the best prices you're likely to find for bubble jet set are at

dharma trading company: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3446-AA.shtml

cj jenkings, the manufacturer. jenkins is the only place i've been able to find the special formula for HP printers.
    http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/HP_Bu...set%202000.htm

softexpressions.com: http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...ns/bubjet.html
    they provide a link to FAQ about BJS.

you do not need to spend the extra $$$ on Bubble Jet Rinse. any super-mild detergent will do just as well. Woolite is often recommended in articles i've read.

I did it!!! I tried it out and it worked! I've been trying to figure out how to make my quilt label for my raffle quilt. Any time i've used iron-on transfers, it leaves a very thick and stiff residue on the fabric. Soooo, i read what some said here, that they print right on their fabric that has freezer paper backing, and then heat-set the ink with an iron. Some here say it works on their regular printer, some say only on laser printer. Sooo, i don't have a laser printer, just a regular one. Tonight I tried printing a label on white fabric, backed with freezer paper, then heat-set it with the iron. I washed it in the sink, and poured bleach directly on it!!!! It worked!! The label didnt run, even with the bleach!!! :) :) :) So now im absolutely thrilled that i've found a better way to make labels, thanks so much to this thread!!! :)

Barb, what model printer do you have.

Barb, what model printer do you have.
    It's a HP Deskjet D2560, just a very ordinary cheap printer, so i was very surprised that it worked.

this is wonderful information!

I just bookmarked this thread, so now when I need it, I can find it!

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Rose Hall

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast