Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilt from thrift store wool suits. >

Making a quilt from thrift store wool suits.

Making a quilt from thrift store wool suits.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM

@lorli -- That leaf quilt is GORGEOUS! So glad you shared.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

regarding cedar wood, you can put animal litter shavings in a pantyhose leg and it works the same and is a lot cheaper. than buying a pc of wood. also, you can spread this around the bottom of the chest/drawer and just put a light cotton or netting over it b4 putting wool in.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 PM

This is a great thread! I'm thoroughly enjoying it! Thanks for the pictures and sharing all the info.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

A solution for the itchy wool army blankets is to make a duvet cover. I "inherited" two old wool blankets that I thought were just too toasty not to use. Slipping the blanket into the duvet solves the itchy problem, keeps the blanket clean--wash the cover not the blanket. Oh I'm going to go get one out of the guest room--we are down to 32° already tonight,
Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 AM

Thank you, Yobrosew. I love your wool quilt too. I bet the back is as nice as the front. I never would have thought of crocheting the squares together, what a good idea, no thick seam areas!

I love wool, best of all I love dying it. I will try to take some pics of the ongoing wool project tonight or tomorrow and post them.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM

I learned something new today! I always thought that if you washed wool in hot water and dried it in a hot dryer, it would felt and shrink up terribly. I was taught to always dry clean wool. Guess I'm not too old to learn!

Looking for wool at thrift shops? Try women's winter coats, jackets and blazers, women's slacks/trousers, skirts and vests. May not have as much wool as a man's suit, but you just may find some snazzier colors/prints in women's wear. Also, my Salvation Army store usually has women's clothing at cheaper prices than men's.

Love all the quilts posted here! You are all so talented. Wish my projects looked 1/2 as good!

I, too, remember the army blankets. I used them at summer camp and boy did they itch. DD has a couple (navy blue) from when she worked as a paramedic - they were used once and tossed! What a waste! Can't have a blanket touch more than one patient. Don't know if they still use wool or not on the ambulance. Wish I could get my hands on more free ones. LOL

Anita
Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i pretty much always have wool projects going ---i love working with wool!
when you disassemble your clothing and wash it---wash it in hot water- with detergent- a regular cycle===rinse in cold water =then dry in a hot dryer---it will not ravel when you work with it- and you will not need an interfacing----i've made very large wool quilts and have never (lined) a single piece of wool- and have never had one ravel or fray.
i do not understand how you can get more usable wool from a pair of pants then from a jacket- since with a jacket you get a very very large piece from the back---and the sleeves are generally wider than pant legs===i use both but have always thought the jackets were by far the better deal...i will have to (study this) a bit...i'm attaching a picture of one of my wool quilts---also starting a new thread with some of my (in the works) wool blocks for everyone to see
once i started working with wool i was HOOKED! it is my favorite fabric!
Ckcowl, I have enjoyed looking at all the beautiful quilts you have posted on the Board, and I always read and heed your advice, and I have to say that black quilt with applique is stunning. I Love it! I guess wool is in my future!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 AM

Here is a tutorial just posted that would work for wool squares like the one I pictured furter upstream. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t240626.html
Old 02-13-2014, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Nice tutorial and beautiful quilt.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 AM

My grandmother mostly made wool quilts. Out of thrift store finds, too! She seemed to find a lot of wool skirts. I remember helping her trace her cardboard squares out on them as a kid.

She would machine wash everything on hot before cutting. Anything that failed in the wash (ran, shrank too much, etc), did not go into a quilt.

Her designs were mostly very simple. Trip around the world, or basic checkerboard. I can't remember what sort of seam allowance she used, unfortunately.

She used cotton batting, and oversized flannel backing that she wrapped around to the front to serve as binding. Her quilts were all tied with yarn instead of being quilted with stitches.

I have one on my bed now that has been used every winter since I was a teenager. It's too small for our bed but we lay it crosswise and use it anyway because it is SO warm. I love that quilt! I machine wash it when it needs it and it comes out looking great. It does have a hole in the top, something snagged a square several years ago and put a rip right in the middle of the square and I haven't fixed it yet. (It holds up fine, even with a hole!) My grandmother always patched her quilts with whatever was at hand - I have an older one that belonged to my uncle, it's patched with his old boy scout patches! I need to find something in the similar spirit to patch MY quilt with!