Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Making a Quilt Top into a Tablecloth

  1. #1
    Member elkridgequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Elkridge, Maryland
    Posts
    31
    I have a small square quilt top that would work well for a bridge size tablecloth. I'm wondering if I should use batting or just back it with fabric. Anyone make quilt tops into tablecloths and have some suggestions?

  2. #2
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,487
    The popular designer, Kaffee Fassett ,does not use batting on some of his tablecloths. He just fuses them to backing- or his staff does it!

  3. #3
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,079
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would just use a backing that is dark enough so the seams don't show through, and quilt it :D:D:D

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,656
    Blog Entries
    194
    this is a cute idea for a tablecloth

    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/06/...ablecloth.html

  5. #5
    Super Member sewingladydi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Woodhaven, Michigan
    Posts
    1,981
    Table toppers usually have some lo loft poly batting I think. I don't have any experience with quilting without any batting.

    If you don't plan to quilt it, why not just hem it like an ordinary tablecloth?

  6. #6
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,757
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    I have a small square quilt top that would work well for a bridge size tablecloth. I'm wondering if I should use batting or just back it with fabric. Anyone make quilt tops into tablecloths and have some suggestions?
    I have made lots of table quilts. I use the thin cotton batting, but have made them with just the cotton backing. It depends on what you like. You can get better detail in your quilting if you use a thin batting. I also make lots of quilted table runners.

  7. #7
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,656
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks for your information!

    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    I have a small square quilt top that would work well for a bridge size tablecloth. I'm wondering if I should use batting or just back it with fabric. Anyone make quilt tops into tablecloths and have some suggestions?
    I have made lots of table quilts. I use the thin cotton batting, but have made them with just the cotton backing. It depends on what you like. You can get better detail in your quilting if you use a thin batting. I also make lots of quilted table runners.

  8. #8
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,029
    Blog Entries
    7
    I like them much better when they have the batting. Use the lowest loft you can find. Easier to quilt on your machine too.

  9. #9
    Member elkridgequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Elkridge, Maryland
    Posts
    31
    Thanks for the hints. I do plan to quilt it so I think I will go with very thin batting rather than none. There are too many seams on the back for me to be happy with it if I were to just hem it. With thin batting hopefully I will still get a nice drape.

  10. #10
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,757
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    Thanks for the hints. I do plan to quilt it so I think I will go with very thin batting rather than none. There are too many seams on the back for me to be happy with it if I were to just hem it. With thin batting hopefully I will still get a nice drape.
    Well, that depends on how much bigger than the table you makie it. Let me see if I can download a picture of the one I have on my table right now. I have a round table and like square ones on it. They drape pretty well.

    another one I made
    Name:  Attachment-102229.jpe
Views: 1618
Size:  79.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,229
    How about flannel?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    485
    Agree!

  13. #13
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,909
    I have one that I use as a quilt...it's got batting and I really like it. My neighbor has a runner that doesn't have batting and I don't like it! It always looks "rumpled"...where mine always keeps its shape. If I make a tablerunner, placemats, or tablecloth, I'll be using batting.

  14. #14
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,757
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    How about flannel?
    You mean for the inner part? Just make sure you wash it first, as it shrinks a lot.

  15. #15
    Super Member Kathy N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,007
    I would use a lightweight Pellon Fleece. It would give it body but not be to puffy.

    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    I have a small square quilt top that would work well for a bridge size tablecloth. I'm wondering if I should use batting or just back it with fabric. Anyone make quilt tops into tablecloths and have some suggestions?

  16. #16
    Junior Member Shiloh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    154
    I just purchased a table topper pattern and it does call for batting. Very thin. I would definitely use batting.

  17. #17
    Member elkridgequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Elkridge, Maryland
    Posts
    31
    Thanks for the hints.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.