Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Making a Quilt Top into a Tablecloth

I have a small square quilt top that would work well for a bridge size tablecloth. I'm wondering if I should use batting or just back it with fabric. Anyone make quilt tops into tablecloths and have some suggestions?

The popular designer, Kaffee Fassett ,does not use batting on some of his tablecloths. He just fuses them to backing- or his staff does it!

Blog Entries
    I would just use a backing that is dark enough so the seams don't show through, and quilt it :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    this is a cute idea for a tablecloth

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/06/...ablecloth.html

Table toppers usually have some lo loft poly batting I think. I don't have any experience with quilting without any batting.

If you don't plan to quilt it, why not just hem it like an ordinary tablecloth?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    I have a small square quilt top that would work well for a bridge size tablecloth. I'm wondering if I should use batting or just back it with fabric. Anyone make quilt tops into tablecloths and have some suggestions?
    I have made lots of table quilts. I use the thin cotton batting, but have made them with just the cotton backing. It depends on what you like. You can get better detail in your quilting if you use a thin batting. I also make lots of quilted table runners.

Blog Entries
    thanks for your information!

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I have made lots of table quilts. I use the thin cotton batting, but have made them with just the cotton backing. It depends on what you like. You can get better detail in your quilting if you use a thin batting. I also make lots of quilted table runners.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I like them much better when they have the batting. Use the lowest loft you can find. Easier to quilt on your machine too.

Thanks for the hints. I do plan to quilt it so I think I will go with very thin batting rather than none. There are too many seams on the back for me to be happy with it if I were to just hem it. With thin batting hopefully I will still get a nice drape.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the hints. I do plan to quilt it so I think I will go with very thin batting rather than none. There are too many seams on the back for me to be happy with it if I were to just hem it. With thin batting hopefully I will still get a nice drape.
    Well, that depends on how much bigger than the table you makie it. Let me see if I can download a picture of the one I have on my table right now. I have a round table and like square ones on it. They drape pretty well.

another one I made
    Name:  Attachment-102229.jpe
Views: 1618
Size:  79.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    How about flannel?

Agree!

I have one that I use as a quilt...it's got batting and I really like it. My neighbor has a runner that doesn't have batting and I don't like it! It always looks "rumpled"...where mine always keeps its shape. If I make a tablerunner, placemats, or tablecloth, I'll be using batting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    How about flannel?
    You mean for the inner part? Just make sure you wash it first, as it shrinks a lot.

I would use a lightweight Pellon Fleece. It would give it body but not be to puffy.

I just purchased a table topper pattern and it does call for batting. Very thin. I would definitely use batting.

Thanks for the hints.