Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilted rug >

Making a quilted rug

Making a quilted rug

Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 PM

I wonder if one could "paint" a quilt on canvas using fabric paint..... or fabric markers......mmmmmm. ;-)
Old 01-10-2016, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
To to match the plastic covered furniture? Seriously, why a plastic mat over a rug?
I have a friend who's sewing room has carpet (kind of a shag) that she has plastic tapped down so that it's easy for her to sweep up threads.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
I wonder if one could "paint" a quilt on canvas using fabric paint..... or fabric markers......mmmmmm. ;-)
If you google "Floor Cloth rug" you will find many designs & instructions. Also try "Floor cloth quilt".
Old 01-11-2016, 12:47 AM

Try googling or going on Amazon for a rug carpet quilted. Amazon have a selection of small mats for bedroom bathroom which have non slip backing on.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:44 AM

I use old bath towels as backing for quilted bath mats. They work great.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:57 AM

I just made a long "aisle runner" type rug for my sewing room a couple days ago! I used canvas duck cloth for the back and outdoor (Sunbrella type) fabric for the top. I used scraps of polyester batting for the inside and quilted it all together with straight lines. The binding is just the canvas duck brought around from the back. It's too big to ever fit into my washing machine; I intend to spot-wash it when it gets dirty but it's quilted thoroughly enough that it could theoretically go into a jumbo washing machine. It fills the main walkway of my sewing room, which is also my living room, so it will get a fair bit of traffic.

It IS a little bit slippy, so I intend to buy some rubberized mesh for the back - I will probably be lazy and just glue that on.

I really like my new rug, but my DH is afraid to step on it and keeps going around it, LOL.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 AM

I took a floor cloth class a few years ago and we cut pieces of fabric which were glued to a canvas... I cut mine into same size squares of fabric resembling a quilt top using colors which complimented my bathroom and also used some of the same fabric in which I had made the valance from. Floor cloths last a long time and can just be washed with soap and water like your floor.

check out www.fredrixfloorcloths.com
Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 AM

Several things about this idea make me say Don't do it! First putting all that work into a project to walk on--no. But most of all the danger involved! Any of these fabrics are not going to hug the floor but provide the opportunity to either slide or wad around feet that aren't moving over the surface. There's a reason they are called "throw rugs", folks! Proceed with extreme caution.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by nvb50 View Post
I am a retired nurse of 43 years. Any throw rug is dangerous. Many of my patients with fractures, in the nursing home, was caused by tripping on a throw rug. I don't have throw rugs in my house and would recommend anyone in their senior years not to use throw rugs.
Excellent advice!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
Donna Dewberry makes floor mats using paint on the backside of linoleum. (rough side up) I think they are mostly used by outside doors,such as a patio.