Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making sample block >

Making sample block

Making sample block

Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
sometimes i try a block to see what all it takes, or to see what it looks like
I've done the same and also to audition 2 blocks in order to decide which one I may want to use.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 AM

I have never done a practice block. What do most quilters find with the advantage in this? Sorry I have not been quilting but 3 yrs.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 AM

I often do a practice block especially when it's my own design. It helps when I'm deciding which fabric goes where, sometimes the fabrics work together but not right next to each other.

I also design quilts. It helps me know if my sizes are right before I send the pattern to the testers.

Now I just need to get back to designing.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by lneal
I have never done a practice block. What do most quilters find with the advantage in this? Sorry I have not been quilting but 3 yrs.
It helps me decide whether I REALLY want to make that block or just admire it from afar.... :lol:
Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 AM

This whole discussion has been about the advantages of doing sample/practice/test blocks. It's your decision to weigh whether or not you might benefit based on the experiences of others.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Me, me, me! I want to make sure I can do it 1st! LOL
Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

What do most quilters find with the advantage in this?
I never did a "practice" block in my early quilting years either. Now I have soooooo many choices and sooooo much fabric and soooooo little time, that I want to spend my time doing quilts (and blocks) I enjoy.

Not all quilts are created equal and a trial block can help make the decision if I want to go ahead with an entire quilt or not.

Not all quilt patterns are created equal and before I cut 2 yards of fabric cross-wise at 1 1/2" only to find out that they really meant 1 3/8" ......that it frustration avoided.

Not all colors are created to match and I'd rather find out on a single block that my bright idea might give me a headache later.

Not all blocks look as good in fabric as they do in print.

Lastly, not every block requires a tester block. Some are tried and true, predictable, or easily verified by doing the math.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 AM

Somehow I don't think I have the patience in making a practice block. I get excited about the pattern, material, and the finished quilt that I can't wait to get started. I just want to "Jump the gun". One new pattern I did a couple of months ago I found out after cutting, for the block, I would have cut some pieces a little bigger and then cut them down to size. I even made a mental note to do it that way next time. Guess I need to consider this advice! LOL!!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 AM

I did that, and had so many blocks, decided to put them all together in a quilt. There is a picture I sent on Nov. 23. In fact two pictures, the first one is a table runner. The quilt picture is the second one. Maybe, you can find it. A lot of blocks, all different for sure.... Marcine
Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 AM

I have a bunch of sample blocks that I used for teaching. I made them in Christmas colors and have enough for a Christmas quilt if I ever get around to it.