Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making the Sandwich >

Making the Sandwich

Making the Sandwich

Old 09-07-2020, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

I pin baste mine on glass top dining table. My donation quilts fit on the table except for a 2-4 ". I always start in the center and work out to edges. Except on the smaller donation quilts I start at one long side and work down then over to opposite edge.

For my large double quilts I just keep doing the length and the width and reposition it until it is all pinned. I use large safety pins and it all works.

Last edited by Jingle; 09-07-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:06 PM

you might check with local long arm quilters--many will baste for a minimal fee.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:00 AM

When I first started, i pinned my quilt sandwich. Hated it. Then I used spray basting which worked quite well, if you can ignore the clouds of excess spray. My favorite brand then added a smell which I couldn't stand. Transitioned to washable school glue which I absolutely love. It’s inexpensive, odorless and very quick You do have to let it dry before quilting and wash after quilting. If you have to adjust anything after it’s dried, you need to dampen the area to loosen the glue. Never had an issue fmq’ it it. I think I found what works best for me! I even bought a gallon of glue recently!
Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 AM

Check with your local library and see if they have tables you can put together so you can lay out your layers and pin baste or spray baste. Most let you do this free.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 AM

I pin/thread baste on my cutting table. I use large binder clips all around the edges. Start in the middle of the quilt and shift things as needed, re-clamping as I go. Takes a bit of time for a king size quilt but beats crawling around on a floor. I don't have that much open floor space anyhow, lol.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:49 AM

A tutorial to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8

I put pins in the center of the top, bottom, and side of all layers. Easy to line up pins on the edge. Then work with half the quilt layers, spray baste and smooth. Then the other half.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I pin/thread baste on my cutting table. I use large binder clips all around the edges. Start in the middle of the quilt and shift things as needed, re-clamping as I go. Takes a bit of time for a king size quilt but beats crawling around on a floor. I don't have that much open floor space anyhow, lol.
Thanks, I went on You Tube and found great demos and have decided on the binder clip method on a table. I also have very limited floor space plus the issue of getting myself up off the floor once I'm down.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:46 AM

I also use the binder clip method on a table. Instead of binder clips, I use little plastic clamps I found at Harbor Freight, They open very wide to go around the thickness of the table top plus all the layers of the quilt yet are easy to reposition. I also use Elmers washable school glue - so much easier and faster to sandwich the quilt! I let it sit for about 10 minutes to let the glue start to dry before repositioning it on the table. Don't know if that is necessary but don't want the layers to possibly slide!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:52 AM

If you have availability to a church with big tables or senior center then you can put two or three tables together and it will help you get all layers together and pin. It is hard for me to get up and down too but I have a big living room floor to work on. Once I am down I just crawl around the quilt and pin, pin, pin. Good luck to you
Old 09-08-2020, 12:40 PM

I checked out several You Tube sites and got lots of good ideas and suggestions. Think I'm ready to sandwich my next quilt. Got all the supplies I need and ready to go. Just have to start on my next quilt. Thanks everyone for all the help.