Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Spray Starch >

Making Spray Starch

Making Spray Starch

Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
tmg

I just read on my bottle that my vodka is made from grain. It said nothing about potatos.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Dee

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tmg
I just read on my bottle that my vodka is made from grain. It said nothing about potatos.
Some is made from potatoes!

http://www.tulleeho.com/cb/vodka/section2.asp
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM

So does it matter then what brand you use so as to ensure the vodka is made from potatoes? I kind of don't get this starch thing anyway. This would seem to have the same effect on fabrics that using a steam iron does ( it stretches the fabric our of shape/or something). Ive read the various arguments concerning steam/ no steam ironing on this board. I use steam and no starch, never thought of it. HELP!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
So does it matter then what brand you use so as to ensure the vodka is made from potatoes? I kind of don't get this starch thing anyway. This would seem to have the same effect on fabrics that using a steam iron does ( it stretches the fabric our of shape/or something). Ive read the various arguments concerning steam/ no steam ironing on this board. I use steam and no starch, never thought of it. HELP!
Since there is no starch left by the time it's vodka it doesn't matter what it's made from to start with.

From the website;

Essentially how it's made: The cornerstone of the production of most alcohol is the process of distillation, which involves the separation of the contents of the liquids and ensuring the extraction of alchohol from a low strength alcoholic liquid to make it into a stronger one. The first step in the production of vodka is the crushing or mixing of the ingredients at hand and their mixing with water. Subsequently this mixture is heated up, which converts the starch into sugar. The resultant liquid, which is thickish and sweet is called the wort. Yeast is then added to this liquid which then goes through a fermentation process and results in a further liquid, which possesses the unremarkable name of wash. This wash is then converted into raw spirit by distillation. Through repeated distillation of the spirit, the impurities in the liquid are decreased and the alcoholic level is raised
Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I mix mine with:
1/4 cup vodka
2 cups water
few drops of Lavender essence

Vodka is made from potatoes so therefore it is starch.
I never get any flakeing from this mixture.
Bet not- but do you get a bit tipsy ;)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
I mix mine with:
1/4 cup vodka
2 cups water

Bet not- but do you get a bit tipsy ;)
Yep, sometime. When I drink the mixture!!! :thumbup:
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Ok, time for night, night. Have a great week everyone!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:34 PM

I mix mine with:
1/4 cup vodka
2 cups water

Frankly, I'm surprised you can get any noticeable body or stiffening with it at all.

ALL alcohol is made from starch (carbohydrate). Yeast eats the starch (carbs) and converts them into alcohol. The results of the initial fermentation are wine (carbs from fruit), beer (carbs from grain) or mead (carbs from honey). Further distillation removes some of the water and some of the alcohol fractions and leaves brandy, whisky, vodka, etc. Most of the original carbs are long gone after distillation is carried out.

In the theatre, an old costumer's trick is to spot clean with a 50% dilution of vodka with water; I've never observed any stiffening at all after cleaning with a much higher percentage solution of vodka than the one you gave above.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Okay I don't drink so I don't know how cheap is cheap vodka? Smirnoff is the only brand I know. How do you store it? I bought the Sta starch to dilute and it flakes terribly. I had been buying the spray can that doesn't flake. So if you make your own only the vodka version won't flake?
You are probably not letting the starch solution soak into your fabric long enough. Or you are using an iron that is way hotter than necessary.