Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a throw that looks like a quilt >

Making a throw that looks like a quilt

Making a throw that looks like a quilt

Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 PM

You may have seen the quilts at the Cracker Barrel that have blocks with embroidery on them. I love those and want to make my own. But I thought instead of cutting out squares and doing them, I would buy a sheet and mark off the squares on it. Then, I can add the stabilizer to each block and embroider on it. Next I will add the batting and backing and do the kind of stitching I want on it as the quilt design. I can straight stitch the blocks first so I will have them all ready. I will hoop each block to embroider. What do you think of this? I am new to quilts.
Sandy
Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 PM

I've never tried that and I'm interested in how it works.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

It sounds interesting. I think it would work. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 PM

It might be tough going with the thread count of sheets to do by hand. Suggest trying out a small piece to start with and see how you like. Thread count of a sheet is higher than that of 100% cotton fabric and the fabric store. Give a try though. K

Originally Posted by MSandy
You may have seen the quilts at the Cracker Barrel that have blocks with embroidery on them. I love those and want to make my own. But I thought instead of cutting out squares and doing them, I would buy a sheet and mark off the squares on it. Then, I can add the stabilizer to each block and embroider on it. Next I will add the batting and backing and do the kind of stitching I want on it as the quilt design. I can straight stitch the blocks first so I will have them all ready. I will hoop each block to embroider. What do you think of this? I am new to quilts.
Sandy
Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks, I will. I just thought that a sheet would be wide enough without having to have a middle seam.
Sandy
Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Since I am new to quilt making, I need to ask what the thread count has to do with it. I need advice because I don't really know what I am doing. I'm just getting ideas.
Sandy

Originally Posted by nuttyhurricane
It might be tough going with the thread count of sheets to do by hand. Suggest trying out a small piece to start with and see how you like. Thread count of a sheet is higher than that of 100% cotton fabric and the fabric store. Give a try though. K

Originally Posted by MSandy
Sandy
Old 10-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Just my opinion, don't know for sure, but the thread count may affect how easy it is to get the needle with the floss on it through the sheet.
Your idea sounds great to me! :thumbup: Look forward to seeing pictures of it when you're finished! :lol:
Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM

Oh, I am doing the embroidery on my machine. It will stitch through leather, so I don't think it will be a problem with the thread count of the sheet. I was wondering if the thread count had anything to do with straightening the material for blocks.
Sandy
Old 10-13-2010, 03:30 PM

I would start in the center and work outward...Also be sure to wash the sheet first because they tend to shrink more than fabric...You can buy 120 inch wide white or muslin on the bolt...You can buy as much length as you want..It would be better for quilting...I also do machine embroidery...You could buy the same for the front and back, or buy some of the quilt-back wide fabrics....
But with quilting, it is really up to the individual...It is your quilt, make it as you like.....
Would love to see pictures when you are done or send some pics out as you finish each block...I am sure it will be beautiful....
Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 PM

My first quilt was made with sheet material on the front. I also did embroidery on it. Turned out ok, but has only lasted 5 years. My seams frayed where they were machine stitched together.