Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making zipper pouches >

Making zipper pouches

Making zipper pouches

Old 12-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Making zipper pouches

I have been trying my hand at making zipper pouches. I am unfamiliar with all the various types of material used for giving your pouch body so it stands on it's own nicely and retains body. I have tried cotton batting, but it did not work. It was still floppy. Then I tried some fusible type of spongy foam. (forgot name) That certainly worked, but maybe an overkill. I am wanting to get costs down on material, so I was going to try poly batting. I never used poly before so I don't know if this would give it the structure I am looking for.

I would like to do some quilting on it and have it show The fusible fleece and soft and stable is very pricey (at least in the packages) or by the yard, so was looking for something more economical to try.

So for those with experience in making these or bags, can you make some recommendations to me as to what I should try, and if using a poly batting would give any body to speak of.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:00 PM

I would try some decor bond which is a very heavy interfacing/stabilizer. I get mine at Joanns with a coupon. Another idea would be headliner foam in substitution for the soft and stable . It can also be purchased at the same place. It is very wide so more economical. I use either wonder under or basting spray to hold it to the fabric.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 PM

Another vote for headliner foam. It's both soft and retains shape, so IMO is perfect for bags. You can get it at Joann's.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:34 AM

Headliner foam. . . hmmm. Interesting . . . where do you buy headliner foam? Does Joann's have it or do you have to go somewhere else?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:08 AM

It's called foam backed headliner fabric, it's at JoAnn's it's $14.99 a yard. 54" wide, beige, I bought some yesterday and used a coupon.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:23 AM

I used a Pellon light weight fusible interfacing on the ones I made. It gives the pouch some body, but it’s not stiff. I’ve used the foamier Soft and Stable when making a purse or something that needs to stand up on its own. For a zipper pouch, I think it’s too much body.

if you use batting with the light weight interfacing, it would show the quilting.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Pre-quilted placemats make great pouches too. I find pretty ones on sale and add a colorful zipper. The edges are finished already too.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 AM

I like the Pellon 971 thermolam plus. It is a fleece iron on, but is substantial enough for zipper bags. You can always layer interfacings as well. I would suggest a layer of Shape Flex to pump up the stability if you like.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 AM

There are many levels of a stiffer interfacing you can use. Experiment until you find the one that works best for you (meaning provides the strength but is still easy to work with). One thing is to remember to not include the thicker ones in your seam allowance. Sometimes it is easier to sew that seam using your zipper foot. I find that when making the bags that look more like a man's grooming bag (sort of a small mailbox look), I like to only reinforce the bottom and the ends only allowing for the curved sides to be a bit more 'soft'. And, it is a good idea to do a couple lines of stitching thru all layers (even the fusible) to make sure they are secure and don't later move around. For the zippered pouches (like make-up bags) I do not use interfacing. I use either clear vinyl sandwiched between cottons or I use the 'babyville' fabrics for the lining (they are coated as to be waterproof). I find these give plenty of structure and provides a leakproof barrier.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:01 AM

Headliner foam comes in 3 colors at Joanns - beige, grey and black. It is a little thicker than the foam interfacing, but is more spongelike. It is with the home decorating fabrics (the vinyls) on rolls. It is 54" wide and usually is about $14 a yard. You can use a regular item coupon, but not a fabric coupon. It will work will almost any glue.