Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Quilt?

I want to make a lap size quilt for my father for his birthday. I still consider myself to be a beginner. I've been quilting for about 18 mo. Do any of you have any suggestions for an easy and fast pattern that a male would like. I know he will love whatever I make for him just because I made it...
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Log cabin. One of my favorites for easy and fast. :-)

Blog Entries
    any simple block, churn dash, nine patch, or just squares. or rows of fabrics would do. just in "man" colors. browns, blues, greens.

There are several "man" fabrics available now days. Look into getting some that interest him (fishing, hunting, dogs, etc) - then just a simple block featuring the focus fabric with sashing and a corner stone make for a nice quilt.

Turning Twenty is a favorite, fast pattern. The directions give you alternate sizes. Just use "manly" fabrics.

I made my husband an Irish Chain out of earth tone batiks... He loves it.

Blog Entries
    If you have a fabric that has his favorite things on it==fishing, hunting, reading, carpentry etc.
    You could make an attic window by fussing cutting the above fabric for the window and using complimentary fabrics for the sides.

If the fabric is a big print or has a scene that is fairly big, cut the fabric scene into fourths and use these as the panes, and use coordinating fabrics for the frames. The overall look is of a paned window showing the scene outside. Sounds mor difficult than it is.
    Good Luck.

I did a Attack windows last year for my son and used blue jean fabric and brown flannel and he really liked it a lot.

I've made a few BQ quilts for different males. They always come out nice and the pattern is a snap. In one I used Asian taupes . Wish I had taken a picture before I sent it out but it went a friend ( a guy) back east.

Blog Entries
    Simple blocks, woodsy/earth tones, no floral prints, are usually a hit for most men :D:D:D

Even more simple is the Jelly Roll 1600 quilt - done in browns and taupe's it would look stunning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimicrystal
    I want to make a lap size quilt for my father for his birthday. I still consider myself to be a beginner. I've been quilting for about 18 mo. Do any of you have any suggestions for an easy and fast pattern that a male would like. I know he will love whatever I make for him just because I made it...
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    I made my 83 yr old dad a quillow, it is the perfect size for him. I used a military print and the pillow was the Army seal.
    He is a WWII vetran.

He though I had invented the moon after he saw it.

;) . I just hand tyed it and did quilting on the pillow part only. It was fast easy and fit him perfectly.

I did one called "Bricklayer" - just squares and rectangles so it goes together pretty quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Disappearing 9 Patch quilt is super fast, uses as few as 3 fabrics or more, and comes out looking great. Go to SEARCH here and look for D9P, and you'll see lots of examples.

I do Turning Twenty in homespun fabric. My sons all like them.
    They are really fast and the guys like the masculine look.

Turning Twenty
    Name:  Attachment-235805.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  79.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Here is one I made for my dh. KathyAire helped me recreate a quilt I had a picture of. I'd be happy to share the directions.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-122602-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I do Turning Twenty in homespun fabric. My sons all like them.
    They are really fast and the guys like the masculine look.
    Thank you for the picture. I really like that and I think that would be perfect fort dad. I have some homespun fabric in similar fabrics that I was thinking of using for him. This really helps seeing a quilt with similar fabrics

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided to do a turning twenty with some homespun fabric I have.

Take five, log cabin D9p are all easy

I was thinking the same thing. I have some navy blue fabric with steers and anchors and have no idea what pattern to use.

Some one just posted a lovely chinese coin quilt made out of Civil War reproduction prints. Very classy looking. Either that or one made out of patriotic colors if he likes that.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142281-1.htm

Tradewinds by Cozy Quilt Designs. Uses 2 1/2 " strips and goes together quickly. Very nice for a man (or woman).

Any quilt with stars is great for a man - just pick "manly" colors - but be sure to put in a red or bright green or something that will make them pop. Make the stars large so you don't need as many blocks. I did one out of scraps of dark blues, browns, dark greens, but made sure I had read in every block somewhere - it was dynamite!!

A couple of weeks ago I showed my parents several lap quilts I've recently made. My Dad fell in love with one, a black and grey one-patch quilt. From top to bottom I had inset a 15-inch-wide strip of soft purple dragon fabric with freehand-curved seams. I would have never guessed that would be the one he'd choose!
    I made a friend a green quilt as that was one of her favorite colors. She thanked me warmly, but I felt the warmth was for ME, not the quilt! So I took over a half-dozen quilts and told her to choose whichever one she liked best...and she chose a brown-toned one with leaves and leaf-motif quilting I had made intending it as a 'guy' quilt! She loves it!
    There are just NO rules!

I made my husband a rag quilt using different golf flannel. He loves it - he won't share.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast