Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking quilting lines >

Marking quilting lines

Marking quilting lines

Old 05-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Im trying to mark quilting lines on dark fabric. From what I see at the stores, my choices are to use a (1)chalk pencil, a (2)water soluble white marker, or a (3)chalk pounce.

I tried a Clover brand water soluble white marker...didn't work. Didn't even make faint lines to follow. Will return this.

I tried a white chalk pencil, and it makes OK lines, but I'm concerned that I'll have trouble removing the marks when I'm done. I tried brushing it off, and using water to remove it, but no luck. Hoping it will come out in the washing machine. Won't use it again unless I hear from others that it WILL come out. I've only marked a 5x5 area on my quilt so far...wishing I had tried it on a scrap first.

I've never uses a chalk pounce before, and am not too enthusiastic about this option. It sounds messy and innaccurate.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer a water soluble pen if I could find one that actually works.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:08 PM

the chalk pounce works best with continuous line stencils. they have mesh throughout them so that the chalk goes through where it's supposed to and does not where the solid plastic is.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 PM
MTS
Banned

I've used http://www.saralpaper.com/main.html to mark black fabric in the past. No residue at all.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM

I'll definitely try this. Thanks for the advise.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:52 PM

You can send for a sample of this to try it. I am going to do that. Thanks for the link!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I use the pouce with the pad ~ I love it, as I am a graphic designer and can even design my own continuous line designs
Old 05-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

I recommend the white ceramic mechanical pencil for dark fabrics. It makes a vine line and is erasable. I also use the Multi-Pastel Chalk pencils in white or light grey. I have also been using the dark gray. For any of the chalk type pencils I recommend erasing first or at least wipe the lines with a terry cloth to remove any of the surface chalk. Chalk will cake in water unless the surface residue is removed. The cermanic mechanical is a bit pricy but leads go a long way and they are stronger than one might think. Pounce chalk doesn't stick to the fabric so will come off in the quilting and for me makes a white mess. Mairacle Chalk with the pounce pad works good It is removed either by brushing, washing or will come off it gently steamed off. I don't recommend any pencil that is color as sometimes the color does not come off.
I use a variety of marking pencils depending on the color of the fabric I am marking. I am having good sucess with the ceramic lead on black batik.
And as you have discoveed.........always test first.
You may need to spray with stain remover such as Shout before washing. I marked some light fabric with the dark mult=pastel and had to spray the lines.
There is also another pencil - Sketch and Wash that is a washable graphite. It looks deadly but I marked off white cotton sateen with it and it was almost gone by the time I finished machine quilting it and the rest ame off by erasing. All these pencils can be found in most LQS or the Multi-Pastel is an art pencil so might be found in an art suppky store as it is an art pencil. If you use the merical pounce you just rub it over the stencil like you would erase chalk from a blackboard. Don't pound it.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 PM

How dark is the fabric? I have found the ceramic pencils work well. And, there is a silver pencil out there. If only doing simple designs/straight lines, and you'll be washing the quilt once done, why not try soap slivers? You can get a nice sharp edge on them and they are accurate (and don't cost anything extra!!).
Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM

I use the little Chaco Liner by Clover. Its chalk powder in a little stubby pen that has a wheel that you run across the fabric. Works well, I'm doing a black quilt at the moment. Just brush your hand over it to remove.

Chalk lines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200290[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200284.jpe  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I use the little Chaco Liner by Clover. Its chalk powder in a little stubby pen that has a wheel that you run across the fabric. Works well, I'm doing a black quilt at the moment. Just brush your hand over it to remove.
I use this too and I love it!!