Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marshalls Dry Goods Batesville, Ar >

Marshalls Dry Goods Batesville, Ar

Marshalls Dry Goods Batesville, Ar

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 AM

IMHO you should stash up on basics and fillers. Your tastes will change so what you like now may not be your favorite when you are retired. That way you can buy the fun stuff as you can and already have the basics and fillers so won't need but small purchases.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM

oh Marshalls Dry Goods is heaven for quilters. Stopped there last year on my way home from arizona...will definitely be an annual event. In one hour spent 200 dollars and got tons of batiks. Next year will get there earlier in the day so i have more time to shop. Fabric prices are so low there and quality was great.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Plan on all the time you can afford. Enjoy yourself and don't watch the clock
Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I can't help with the time to spend in each store, but I can relate to spending money on a stash while you have it. Although we hadn't anticipated that my husband would develop severe vertigo, that required he take a disability retirement and I had to become the only driver, I did spend my money while I was working and had it to spend. I'm thankful now that I did, even though I had to purge nearly half of my fabric, at least 1/3 of that was inherited when my sister passed away, I have been working out of my stash for the last 5 years. I do take an occasional trip to JoAnn's when I need batting, or a fabric to complete a project, but I even made my DGD's quilt entirely from my stash. It was a good feeling, although I do miss having funds to spend at my discretion, I do not regret any of my previous purchases. My one regret is losing my sewing room, but I've adjusted. I do so envy you your shopping trip. Have a blast.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM

I have been to MDG several times, it is awesome and Sharon Thomas is a fantastic sales rep. I buy by the bolt and I love buying flat fold bundles. Sometimes there might be some flaws in the flat folds but if you are a piecer you can work around it for the price you pay. I am wanting to make the trip again, it is about a 5 hour drive for me.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Can I climb in your pocket.......
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM

I was at Marshall's last week (it's only 35 miles from the house). They are just finishing up some re-organizing in the retail area and it is so much better and easier to shop in than the way it was before. There are a lot more shelves and more of their fabric is out front that used to only be in the back (wholesale) section. You're going to have a fun time while you're there.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM

If you at all have time in Paducah, don't ignore the National Quilt Museum. I've been 3 times and it's always fascinating. Love it.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM

I couldn't have said it better! Yep, our tastes change and sometimes change back again.
To Not get confused I would take a camera and take a pic of several of the fabrics you've bought in one store, so you don't repeat purchasing the same items in another store. How do I know??? lol, don't ask.

Originally Posted by pennylynne View Post
IMHO you should stash up on basics and fillers. Your tastes will change so what you like now may not be your favorite when you are retired. That way you can buy the fun stuff as you can and already have the basics and fillers so won't need but small purchases.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
Plan on all the time you can afford. Enjoy yourself and don't watch the clock
What she said!