Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marshall's

I buy from MDG all the time, I love their quilters builders.
    Blessed are the piece makers for their children shall inherit the quilts.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I once ordered several bolts of the same type of backing fabric that Marshall's carried, for our store... and I would never order them again. They were quite rough to the touch, but worst of all is that they were wrapped so crookedly on the bolt, we had to give an extra foot on every cut, just so that our customers would wind up with a straight piece the size they needed. Bottom line... order extra.

The fabrics were inexpensive, but... depending on how you sleep, it may be the backing of the quilt that will be pulled up over you and against your skin as you sleep, so IMHO I'd rather have something that is nice and smooth.

I used new sheets for missions quilts. Sheets are higher thread count and much harder to hand quilt...so I am told. For missions quilts we got the fabric that was scraps from a drapery/upholstery shop. The batting was from a snowmobile suit factory. They took the large pieces and would bond them together. They couldn't be used for clothing but were sold in large rolls as missions batting. The missions quilts were tied and they very pretty when we finished them and sent them off. I would use sheets for my quilts but I hand quilt and, as I said, they say it is hard to quilt a sheet because of the high thread count.

I have bought from Marshalls many times. I have used the extra wide fabric many times too - and no matter where I get it, it is not on the bolt straight. I lose at least a foot every time to straighten each end. I really don't care to use used sheets and don't - many of the ones I have seen are pretty worn, and won't last long on a quilt.If I am going to the expense of making a quilt, I am going to buy new fabric for the back.
    Fabaddict

I buy from Marshalls often and have been very happy with their fabrics and their service.

Hey, TeresaS, you are not weird, but that's why we have soap and hot dryers!

Quote Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
    There are so many used items I don't mind, but I, too, draw the line on sheets! I guess I would make an exception if the sheet were used by me and the quilt were for me, but otherwise, no thank you! Just sayin'

LOL, I've got a sanitize cycle on my washer. By the time a sheet goes thru that, just about anything could have happened to it and been killed off.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I purchased an entire bolt of backer fabric from Marshall's. It has become the back of 4 different quilts that all has one fabric of a similar color on the top! I am lucky enough to live in Batesville, so I have to be very careful not to make too many trips to Marshall's! The backer fabric is excellent. They carry lots of lovely fabrics that are of excellent quality for quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    Has anyone used the wide backing from Marshal's Dry Goods. If so how did you like it. Just looked in my local fabric store. It's $22.00 a metre and I'm thinking one is OK the other is a step up from cheesecloth. So for this quilt I've just gone to thrift store & bought a king size 100% cotton sheet for $1.50. Haven't used it yet, just a tad leary of using a sheet for backing, I'll get over it.
    I haven't used the wide backing, but have shopped at Marshall's for many years and never been disappointed with anything I've bought.

Quote Originally Posted by sniktasemaj View Post
    Did you ever sleep in a hotel or motel?
    Chuckle, chuckle, maybe she carries her sheets with her. I suppose some people do that. Then again, some people never actually sleep in a hotel/motel.

Blog Entries
    I've ordered the extra wide backing from Marshalls many times. I was ordering one at a time "just as I needed it" and was paying about $10. for shipping. Then I decided to get smart about the shipping so I now order 5 different colors at a time and I'm paying abut $12.00 for shipping all of them together. I don't mind having extra ones on hand as I make a LOT of quilts and quilt them myself. I've had no problem at all except how they are wrapped on a bolt and yes I have had that same problem when buying from my local quilt shop. She will not order anything of color in the wide backings, just white and cream and I get tired of that so I went to Marshalls and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
    There are so many used items I don't mind, but I, too, draw the line on sheets! I guess I would make an exception if the sheet were used by me and the quilt were for me, but otherwise, no thank you! Just sayin'
    I have not used sheets, but I just want to weigh in on this discussion to point out that if you ever stay in a hospital or hotel you are definitely going to be using sheets that others have used. A little bleach takes away any and all of the "ickiness" factor. To further illustrate, remember diaper services? They launder an even more intimate item and pass it around to babies all over town, and it's not the least bit "icky". People who recycle used items, including sheets, should not be made to feel bad about this earth friendly and budget friendly choice.

My main concern would be that modern day sheets have not always held up particularly well, and it would be a shame to have one give out prematurely on a quilt that someone spent many hours creating.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I h ave found that used sheets can be worn out, dry rotted, and a mess to work with...as in OFF grain,,,do be careful!
    Yeah, I have a horror story about using sheets in a quilt... long story short, first trip thru the wash, it shredded. Not good. I buy bolts of Moda muslin when they're on sale & use it. There are several places who sell wide backings. Try Googling it.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    I've bought Marshall's wide backings and liked them all.
    When I need a special back I buy from http://www.christianlanequilters.com.
    I've been making repro quilts lately and want a lining that suits them.
    I've ordered from them, too, & always been pleased. I always use muslin on my repros... I'm weird, I know... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    I once ordered several bolts of the same type of backing fabric that Marshall's carried, for our store... and I would never order them again. They were quite rough to the touch, but worst of all is that they were wrapped so crookedly on the bolt, we had to give an extra foot on every cut, just so that our customers would wind up with a straight piece the size they needed. Bottom line... order extra.

The fabrics were inexpensive, but... depending on how you sleep, it may be the backing of the quilt that will be pulled up over you and against your skin as you sleep, so IMHO I'd rather have something that is nice and smooth.
    That's another reason I like Moda muslin for my backings... once it's been washed, it's soft & snuggly when I pull the sheets up over my head (yes, I sleep with just my nose poking out of the sheet... I'm weird, rememebera? LOL!).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by BettyB View Post
    I buy from MDG all the time, I love their quilters builders.
    I know I'm dumb, but what exactly is a "quilters builders"? I typed it into MDG's search & they said "nothing matches those terms".
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    Thanks for the link to Fabrics Galore. I added it to my favorites for future reference.
    I swear, this board has added a gazillion bookmarks to my quilting list... LOL! I added Fabrics Galore, too... And MDG!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by sniktasemaj View Post
    Did you ever sleep in a hotel or motel?
    When I stay in a h/motel (which I hate to do), I won't around without my shoes on. Haven't you seen those exposes they do on how filthy the rooms really are? Even in really high end hotels & resorts? Ick!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I also use sheets for backings and have never had a problem with them.

I must have been nearly asleep lol-----quilters BLENDERS, sorry about that
    Blessed are the piece makers for their children shall inherit the quilts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2