Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli, Millie, Or Handi? >

Martelli, Millie, Or Handi?

Martelli, Millie, Or Handi?

Old 08-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Martelli, Millie, Or Handi?

Been hanging in the shadows here just learning from all the members, but I haven’t been able to find a lot of info on machines now that I am ready to get a long ar. I’ve narrowed down the search to three. Martelli, Millie, or Handi Quilter. I haven’t been able to find much of what I would call “objective” or unbiased information.

I have a Handi Quilter Dealer close by, but I love the Martelli setup and cutting table. My wife is a lot shorter than me so the motorized height adjustment is a big deal. And the Millie has the whole “lifetime warranty” thing going for it.

I am hoping the members here can fill in some blanks for me.

Thanks in advance.

John.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:53 AM

If you haven't yet tried them out, I'd suggest going to a quilt show and trying them all out. All three of those: Martelli, APQS(makes Millie), and Handi Quilter, are companies that have been around for a good while and have good reputations for service, etc. It really comes down to individual preference, which is why I suggest going to some shows where you can spend time trying them all out side by side.

Rob
Old 08-25-2019, 09:05 AM

I totally agree with Rob. I did just that and know exactly what I want went the day comes that I can afford a long arm. For me it is between the Handi Quilter and the Millie. Both setups are great and provide me with the options that I like. It is totally a personal preference. For me cost is also a factor to be considered. Have fun playing before you buy.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:26 AM

We’ve had a chance to play on several brands. Having a tough time finding a Millie within driving distance of OKC Was hoping to see one at the Arlington show this weekend, but APQS wasn’t there.

So far we’re leaning to the Martelli.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:39 AM

Is Martelli still selling longarms? I just went to their website, and nothing about them is there. I did google and found something, but the links were empty.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cheryl7758 View Post
Is Martelli still selling longarms? I just went to their website, and nothing about them is there. I did google and found something, but the links were empty.
It seems so. They had one setup at the show.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cheryl7758 View Post
I just checked their website. It is totally intact. Links worked. All is well.

bkay
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

I am an Innova owner, and wouldn't change to another brand for love 'nor money. However of the 3 you mentioned, I think I would choose HandiQuilter or APQS. Maybe that's because I didn't even know Martelli had a longarm. Do they make it or put their name on one made by someone else, which is becoming very common?
Old 08-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by plbgbiz View Post
We’ve had a chance to play on several brands. Having a tough time finding a Millie within driving distance of OKC Was hoping to see one at the Arlington show this weekend, but APQS wasn’t there.

So far we’re leaning to the Martelli.
I bought my Millie from Connie Keller in Lewisville, TX (north of Dallas on 35E) http://www.apqstexas.com/

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-25-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: link requires sign up
Old 08-25-2019, 05:35 PM

I'm surprised that you haven't found several threads on this site about purchasing long arms. Yes, do go to a major show and try all of them. Also check the LongArm University website for a checklist of features for you to consider. You mention that you and your wife will both be using? You'll need hydraulics to adjust the frame/table easily as they are super heavy. Also, you don't say, but you might be interested in a computerized system if you plan to start a business.
Any brands (Innova, Gammill, APQS, Nolting, etc) that is a true industrial machine will last forever, so don't shy away from purchasing used.