Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Martelli Rotary Cutter

Martelli Rotary Cutter

Has anyone used a Martenlli Rotary Cutter. If so what did you think about it.
    http://www.martellicatalog.com/

Blog Entries
    I purchased one, I really like it. The blade cover is designed so that you may close it immediately after your cut with the flick of one finger.... has a nice grip and they come in left or right handed versions... Their customer service is awesome too!

I love, love, love mine. Really helps if you are cutting lots of fabric. I like the closing cover also, so the blade is never exposed.

I wore mine out. The spring broke on it, and I'm using it taped. Not good, I know, but I can't afford a new one. They're too expensive for me. But, I do really like it.

I have one and have not used it yet.

Blog Entries
    I did look at these. But I work right or left handed depending on how I feel so I felt having to buy 2 was too expensive.
    I have been known to put blades in for right handed and then use it left handed. Can't do with these.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I got one years ago. I really liked it.

However, I can no longer use it because of the pressure on my hands and fingers. I found I needed a finger on it to use it well and that is no longer a realistic option. Darn!
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I have one but could not get used to using it. I'm going to try it again because I have a lot of scraps to cut up and it's supposed to help with the carpal tunnel.
    Lots of people like them, but some just can;t get used to it.

I have one and found no great advantage to using it. I like the 60mm Olfa rotary cutter the best.

I have arthritis in my hands and neck.

Blog Entries
    love it! I get the least fatigue if I alternate using the Martelli and a fiskar's
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I bought one yrs ago and the plastic handle cover streched out so it kept falling off. So dont use it at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aria View Post
    I wore mine out. The spring broke on it, and I'm using it taped. Not good, I know, but I can't afford a new one. They're too expensive for me. But, I do really like it.
    Call their customer service - they will get you a new spring... or if they will be at a Quilt Expo near you - take it with you and they will replace it there at the show for you!

Go to the Martelli website and buy a new spring. I've used one for a long time and love it. Just bought their new and improved one and like it even better.
    aka Gale

Why don't you email them - I bet they would send you a spring and it would be safer than using it taped.

Z
    You can get a replacement spring. Contact customer service.

Right after I purchased mine, the spring came off and I called them. They said send it back and they replaced it. I do like mine; however, I have to say I don't use mine correctly most of the time. I tend to 'pinch' mine rather than leave my wrist in horizontal position like you're supposed to.

I had one and ended up selling it. I had osteoarthritis surgery many years ago. Something about the way you have to hold it and push down really bothered my hand. I do fine with the ergonomic Olfa cutter.

QKO
    I use one for all my shop cutting - easy on the hands as long as you use it correctly - and the blades seem to stay sharp forever. Well worth the money - I wouldn't use any other 60mm cutter.

I thank everyone for the information. I think I will try one.

Aria,

If you call they will send you new springs, you just need to know if it is a 60mm or 45mm blade, free of charge. They even have a video on their web site to show you how to put it on. I did it myself, even with my crooked fingers!

I really love my Martelli cutter. I have to sit for everything, and using this cutter makes it easy. It cuts so easily without any pressure on my hands either. I highly recommend this for anyone, but especially those with painful hands and wrists.

If you ship it back to them, they will replace your cutter or fix the spring for you. I did that. It was $4-6 to return it but well worth it and less than buying a new cutter.

I have one and I'm trying to learn how to use it. So far I just keep reaching for my old Fiskars! I just can't seem to get the hang of holding the Martelli the correct way, but I'll keep trying.

I must be the only one who hates theirs. Absolutely one of the worst things I have ever purchased, well...that and their quilt binding attachment. Hate that piece of overpriced plastic crap. Do I sound angry? Yes. And when I wanted to return both of the worthless items, I was told I could only exchange them. For what, more plastic junk? When I go to quilt shows, I run very fast past them, just in case I want to stop and choke someone. I will now take a deep breath and try to forget I ever purchased from them.

Love my Martelli. The most important thing is to learn to hold it correctly. Straight up and down, NEVER at an angle because it can cut up a board that way. Mine is 3 yrs old and I have not replaced the blade yet!

I have a left handed one it is great to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast