Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Martelli rotary Cutter

I looked at that beautiful GINGER cutter until I just had to have it. Beautiful to look at, but I needed to rip out the seams in a pair of jeans. Don't try that! Now it won't cut a thread without a lot of pressure. Really did dull the blade.

Banned
    i didnt buy the mat and I wont spend 70 on it. my olfa mat is just fine.

sorry about my input, I was thinking about the seam ripper.

Blog Entries
    Where did you order it from? I have arthritis and would love to have something that is easier on my wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by charvan
    I have not had any trouble with the spring; my friend broke hers and they sent her one right away.
    My friend broke hers too and they also sent her a new one right away. I haven't bought one yet, just don't know if it si worth the cost for me, and the ruler seems a little funky.

JoAnn's has them for $29.99 (60mm) so may be a deal with the 40% coupon. I've started to have problems with my right hand and you all have convinced me that I need this. Do you have to purchase Martelli blades or will others work?

Blog Entries
    I bought one last year and it's great for taking off the pressure on my hand. The only problem I have is that I can use both hands for cutting so since this is right or left hand specific, I only use it at my large cutting mat only after I've made the first cut with my other cutter (if that makes any sense).

Other than that, I like this cutter. I should buy one for left-handed and that would solve my problem.

Got mine at the International Quilt Fest. in Houston. they stand behind their product. It's the best. The blades rarely need to be sharpened.

Blog Entries
    The ruler, mat, and rotary cutter were my big purchases at Paducah last year. I love them all. I am a very conservative person and saw them demonstated many times before I bought. Why did I wait so long? I have several mats and a number of rotarty cutters, but these are the best. Be sure to watch the video if you order a cutter. You stand to the side to cut, instead of right in front of the ruler. Makes a difference.

HI Cratfy It is very well worth it. Many times easier for your wrist. I have used one a few times and got one this last week at the sew expo... I have there binder tool too that goes on the machine fold the binding as you sew....

I bought one at a quilt show several years ago. My only problem is that the blades were supposed to stay sharp for what sounded like forever and yet the salesman tried to sell me a whole lot of extra ones. Mine currently usually leaves at least two threads not cut in every piece of fabric I cut. I guess their defination of forever is differnt than mine.
    The design is good for my poor hands.

Blog Entries
    What do you think of the martelli binding tool? Is it worth the money?

Hi...I don't have any Martelli cutters..BUT I have 4 Olfa cutters ranging in size from 18 to 60mm. I found them at JoAnn's & each purchase on line I used 50% off coupon. They are ergonamonic(sp). I absolutely love them as I have no feeling in ring or pinkie fingers on both hands. Easy curved handles and the blades close so much easier that the other Olfas. These are the way to go for me. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pflum1
    What do you think of the martelli binding tool? Is it worth the money?
    I think the zip bind tool (it's just one piece that slides on over the binding) is worth getting. Reviews of it have been really good. There are Youtube demos of it you can watch.

I've heard their mitering clips are good too.

I bought the (expensive) clear plastic binding tool thingie that is supposed to feed the binding, etc. so you can attach binding all in one step. I highly recommend *not* getting this contraption! It's complicated, fiddly, and does not work well.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGranny5
    Hi...I don't have any Martelli cutters..BUT I have 4 Olfa cutters ranging in size from 18 to 60mm. I found them at JoAnn's & each purchase on line I used 50% off coupon. They are ergonamonic(sp). I absolutely love them as I have no feeling in ring or pinkie fingers on both hands. Easy curved handles and the blades close so much easier that the other Olfas. These are the way to go for me. Just my opinion.
    I too use the ergonomic Olfa cutters, but when I'm paper piecing and trimming as I sew, I'm sitting down. After several hours of doing this, I've found my hand isn't happy. With the Martelli cutter, my hand stays happy.

re: Martelly rotary cutter____Sounded good so I looked up the site and ordered by phone on Thursday---it came Saturday---the lady that I talked to was great and very enthusisatic [sp]---she told me to call back if I had any problems with it--haven't had time to really try it but can hardly wait---can't hardly find people and places like that any more---would recommend it for service and attitude if nothing else

Just ordered mine on Overstock.com for $17.99. They only charge 2.95 shipping for the entire order so I got a package of blades as well. I have tendonitis in my right hand and it bothers me when I use the regular rotary cutter. Can't wait to get it.

Dkm
    Thanks...I want to get one also. Very good price.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    wow that looks so easy to use..wonder if we can get them in Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady
    Just ordered mine on Overstock.com for $17.99. They only charge 2.95 shipping for the entire order so I got a package of blades as well. I have tendonitis in my right hand and it bothers me when I use the regular rotary cutter. Can't wait to get it.
    Just received mine in the mail from Overstock.com. I will be stripping tonight! :lol:

Just received mine in the mail from Overstock.com. I will be stripping tonight! :lol:
    Ooooo! Nice I just ordered one as well. :) I was holding off because shipping was so expensive through Martelli. So I am excited about this one being $21 shipped! Thanks SO much! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I am left handed and bought one of their rotary cutters about 2 years ago. I do not regret it ....it works wonderfully. They had a package deal at last years Lancaster show..a cutter with a mat and a strip cutting set. The stip cutting thingy..is wonderful. It doesn't slide all over the place like an acrylic ruller. It is a little pricey..but..all good toys are..

Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    Ooooo! Nice I just ordered one as well. :) I was holding off because shipping was so expensive through Martelli. So I am excited about this one being $21 shipped! Thanks SO much! :thumbup:
    You're very welcome - every little bit counts!

A few months ago, or less, someone bashed the Martelli Company referring to blades. I posted saying that one cannot use notched blades in the Martelli cutters....this was disputed.
    I just returned from the Lancaster Quilt Show and visited, while there, the Martelli booth. Their wonderful demonstrators and reps enforced my post.....they always say that round hole blades are what are to be used with these cutters. Do NOT use the notched blades....they will impair the performance of the marvelous Martelli cutters.
    I have purchased several Martelli products....their tutorials are wonderful, the tools themselves are efficient and effective. Their service is remarkable and reliable.
    Go, Martelli!

Quote Originally Posted by gramalama9
    A few months ago, or less, someone bashed the Martelli Company referring to blades. I posted saying that one cannot use notched blades in the Martelli cutters....this was disputed.
    I just returned from the Lancaster Quilt Show and visited, while there, the Martelli booth. Their wonderful demonstrators and reps enforced my post.....they always say that round hole blades are what are to be used with these cutters. Do NOT use the notched blades....they will impair the performance of the marvelous Martelli cutters.
    I have purchased several Martelli products....their tutorials are wonderful, the tools themselves are efficient and effective. Their service is remarkable and reliable.
    Go, Martelli!
    I love my Martelli rotary cutter and did try other blades in it and was not happy. They don't roll smoothly and I've even cracked a couple so it's back to the round hole blades for me. Putting the others in my cutter makes it harder to use than the Olfa. With the correct blades, it's like a hot knife through butter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast