Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marti Michell book >

Marti Michell book

Marti Michell book

Old 02-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Marti Michell book

I'm considering the book 'Machine Quilting in Sections'. Does anyone have this book? Is is helpful? Easy to understand? Does her way to QAYG work?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I wasn't in love with it but yes, it does work. I have two or three king size quilts to finish and they are in sections. One day I will get them done. No other way could i finish them when this large. Sharon Pederson also has a great Reversible quilts book out.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:16 PM

If you are a visual learner consider craftsy.com has a class with Ann Petersen Quilting big projects on a small machine
Old 02-04-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by FGlinda View Post
I'm considering the book 'Machine Quilting in Sections'. Does anyone have this book? Is is helpful? Easy to understand? Does her way to QAYG work?
I have the book. I have not followed her QAYG process, but I do think it has some value. It wasn't really easy to understand - but that's just me. Here's a process I follow to quilt twin size or larger quilts that I read about in a book by Debra Wagner:

I lay the quilt sandwich on my dining room table and pin baste only the middle 1/3 of the quilt. Working on one side, I separate the top from the batting and cut off the batting in a long, curved line and remove it. I then fold the backing and top and pin it loosely. I repeat on the other side. Once I've finished quilting the middle 1/3, I lay the quilt back on the DR table, open up the backing/top on one side, reattach the batting using long basting stitches, and then quilt the side. Then I repeat for the other side.

In this way, I never have more than 1/3 of the quilt under the harp at any time. I do mark the 2 batting pieces and the 2 sides so I can match them up again later. I am mindful when quilting the middle 1/3 to stop quilting a couple of inches from the edge of the batting and I do my best to continue my quilting pattern from the middle onto a side section so I have continuity.

Hope this helps.

Cheryl
Old 02-04-2015, 05:39 PM

I have this book and the Sharon Pederson book. Pederson's book is more of a block at time. You ask if Marti Michell's system works, It works well for her, her quilts are beautiful. Try your library system for a copy before you buy. You may get more out of that Craftsy class that was mentioned.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I have the book and I like it a lot. QAYG is a blanket term for multiple techniques. The book covers several of them and gives you options for dividing your quilt into manageable sections. I also have the Pederson book, which demonstrates a single technique, and as mentioned, completes a block at a time. They both also have quilt patterns.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:05 AM

I read it, and since a lot needed hand stitching, the book got consigned to the "never used" shelf. I found the Queen of Stitching videos for quilt in the hoop projects and it works for regular pieced blocks as well.