Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Masterpieces of art

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Just want to add to encouraging you that everyone on here is NOT professional. I have been on here for 3 years and mostly stick with smaller projects but I have learned what I do and don't like, saved tons of photos for reference and try to learn from others. We need you too!

You are correct, it is more difficult to post photos than it used to be with the other format but now that I have been successful and few times and learned what to look for it is not that hard. If you want sometime, PM me and I will help you walk through it.

Looking forward to your next quilt posted on the board. May you have a wonderful day.

Sadly with the old method of posting photos it was quite difficult for me to post pictures. Now this new method make it absolutely impossible for me to post pics. Problems with this computer that I can not replace at this time.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I quilt for my own pleasure. It calms me and gives me the fun of playing with beautiful fabrics. I will never be as good as most of the beautiful work I have seen here, but I love the process and the ones whom I have given my work to loves them so that is good enough for me. I love looking at all the work here and if I can help anyone that makes me happy. I like the encouragement given to new quilters here. There is a place for all of us here.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I'll second what AuntPiggy has said.

KSue, If you feel that this is only for professional quilters, then I'm not sure why? I've been here for over a year and have never had that feeling. There's a lot of us regular, average-Joe's or or should I say Josie's here
    I also do not know why OP feels like this...so many people put beautiful quilts here but some even say, "It's my first FMQ, etc.". We see all levels of quilting and piecing. I think this is a wonderful place to come and get inspired!

One of the quilts I posted recently. Definitely NOT a masterpiece but my older son loves it:
    Name:  IMG_4239.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  1.88 MB

I love to post all sorts of quilts. Some of the ones I make are much higher quality. I love this one because Ryan loves this one. It contains his hockey jerseys and some other shirts. It is uneven, some numbers are cut off or not centered and I definitely would not have chosen to put the colors together. But, who cares? It was fun to post and some people liked it. Have fun on the board and use it for what you want. BTW, it took some advice from a board member to make it easier to post pix. Now I have these icons just above the post reply box and it is so much easier to post pix. I don't remember how I got them added though.

Just remember EVERYONE of us were beginners and many of us still are. Each of us made a first quilt and have not lost that feeling of joy from feeling it and looking at it.
    As for the "posting", some days my computer does what I want it to do and other days it sure has a mind of it's own.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I post my pics and have been sewing quilt tops for less than a year. Yours are as beautiful as any of the others that are posted! We want to see all of them, beginners to professionals. Please show us your quilts, it's not too difficult to post them it just takes a little patience to get the size correct. :-)
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries
    I thought the purpose of this board was to commisserate with fellow quilters, and spur each other on to do bigger and better things. Hopefully we are all here to show our successes AND our failures. That is how we learn. I am in quilting for the love of creating with fabric. I don't care how perfect my points are, or if a block is perfectly square. I am thrilled if I reach those levels in a quilt, but it is not all that important if I don't. Most of my quilts go to charity or fundraisers, or family.

Don't shy away from posting your pics here. If you go to an art gallery, you will see that many of those artists are not our taste. They are artists, and do it for the love of the creation of art.

Please play around with the posting of pics. Once I got the resizing figured out, it was easy.

I doubt that anyone on this board considers themselves a professional. I have been making quilts for 40 years and you would have to roll your eyes at even some of my latest creations. The thing I am good at is handquilting and getting projects finished. I would not begin to enter anything I pieced in any show. I do handquilting for other people but I wouldn't dream of making them a quilt from scratch unless it was a wholecloth one.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Oh I hope you will post your quilt pictures. Please do not feel intimidated by the photos. In over 45 years I have never met a quilt I didn't like. AND I have seen some that were really not that attractive, however there is always something positive to be said for any quilt. Even if its "do not do this again" Ha. Seriously I don't care if a quilt is tied, or quilted to an inch of its life. There is always something to enjoy about a quilt. Hang in there and please do share your work.

KSue, this board is for everyone who enjoys our beautiful craft, no matter what our level of talent is. I've been quilting on and off for over 25 years, but I do not consider myself 'accomplished'. Do not hesitate to post any of your work - we are all one, big happy quilting family - no one is 'above or below' anyone else here. I have never felt more welcome and accepted as much as I do here, and believe me, not a single one of my pieces is without fault!!

Blog Entries
    My quits are just so so. I don't have any desire to do all of the long arm stuff, or the intense quilting. I finish by stitch in the ditch and the lines can be wobbly, but, hey, it's my work. Folks who get my quilts act like they enjoy getting them. That's all that matters to me! Yes, I try my best to make attractive quits, but I only measure them against other work I have done.
    Last edited by coopah; 06-19-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

KSue, I to have problems posting but don't give up. My quilts aren't near perfect, they are the best I can do, neither can I afford the
    send out to LAQ to many $$$"S. I have been teaching my self to FHQ on my Singer L500, not always pretty but it's getting better the kids and grand kids like them anyway cause granny or mom made it. Keep practing..
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I am sure your quilts are every bit as good as mine and better than some. A clue on posting pictures. Many times the problem is your picture being too large to transfer. Contact PatriceJ and she can help you master the job. Good Luck and remember to share your talents. It might be just the encouragement some member might need.

I am certainly not a professional quilter but I enjoy putting pieces of fabric together. As to posting pictures, I find that a photo program is very helpful in resizing .... mine is "Paint" and was part of my Microsoft products. There are others that do just as well. We're all on a learning curve .... and it is a long curve!

Yes the work shown by the quilters is gorgeous, but I love the picts and the board in general. As a newbie I have learned so much here and receive inspiration. Keep on trying and do post your picts we all love to see them.

I am sure there are many people on this Board that would be proud to be called "professional quilters." Some are, but most are not, me included. I cook because I HAVE to. I quilt because I WANT to.
    prolific hand quilter

I second Omaluvs comments.
    There are many of us that are just quilting for fun!! Is there any other reason. Please share what you do too.

Quote Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
    Oh come on, we want to see yours too! I also love to see all kinds of quilts and enjoy them all. I've seen so many quilts where the simplicity just appealed to me so much. We are a very diverse group with many levels of expertise and probably the most friendly forum I've seen

Hi KSue, I am an average "Jane." I have only been quilting for about 3 years. From the very beginning I dared to share pics of my work knowing I have no where near the expertise of others who post. However, I received a great deal of encouragement, and when I asked for it, excellent suggestions and helpful critique.

When the forum changed its' format my learning curve with posting pics was much steeper than many who "got it" right away. I would like to encourage you "to hang in there" so many of us don't miss your presence and creative ideas.
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

Picasso, Michelangelo, the painting senior citizen, the teen in art class, the kindergartner finger painting. These are all artist in their own rights. Every one of those have painted or created art for their pleasure and to share with their peers and those around them to admire and celebrate their accomplishment. The same with the quilting forum. We all enjoy each others accomplishments. Don't deprive us of celebrating with you and your inspiring us.

Blog Entries
    OOOOh girl professional quilters we are not

Not all of us. there are so many first time quilters here. and I am amazed at what the first timers do. I quilt all the time and do not concider my self anywhere near as talented and these people BUT I post mine anyways. wht auntpiggyln said DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT. and if you are having any trouble posting here pls contact someone, anyone on the board will be able to help you.
    hope to see you quilt soon.
    Dawn
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Blog Entries
    I think you may get that idea because often those who post are promoting their customers' work that they have quilted on their longarms. I personally enjoy seeing all the pictures and don't try to compare mine with anybody else. I love what I do and don't post pictures, but if I did it wouldn't be for anyone to compare me with anyone else. I just encourage you to love what you do and be proud of it because it comes from the ability God gave you. Enjoy the experience.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've never done an artsy quilt before or a really hard quilt either. Mine are pretty basic. And I won't show mine either. I kind of understand where you are coming from. I don't think there are any snobs here by any means. I think all the gals here are super nice and pat everyone on the back for every quilt they see. But I think my quilts, too, aren't up to par with the others and won't show them. Maybe someday. Part of the problem is I don't quilt my own quilts. I take them to a long armer and I know everyone gushes over everyone's quilting abilities.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

As much as I love exquisitely done quilts, I actually PREFER seeing "regular" quilts, and if everyone said they arent going to post theirs, I'd die! Please post your " regular" quilts, the joy and love that you put in them always show thru! The quilt made for the new grandchild by a loving grandmother with mismatched seams, the quilt made for a sick hospital patient by a worried friend with wonky borders, the imperfect charity quilts made from a giving heart speaks to me in ways the works of art do not.

Now, of course these pros make me constantly try harder, and I learn a LOT from them, so I wouldn't want them to stop posting,either. There's nothing like a show quality quilt to take my breath away and inspire me! Also, I assume they all started somewhere, and I appreciate all the hard work it took to get to that level, whether or not I will ever be on that level.

Our differences are the beauty of this place! I believe there's a place for us all here.

Please don't criticize yourself! True, we are our own worst critics but there are so many beginners on the board and they are so excited about learning the skills we can offer. Keep on posting your pics; we learn something here every day by looking at what others do.

Blog Entries
    If they were giving out awards for Worst Quilter of the Year, I'd be sure to walk away with the trophy so don't worry that your "talents" aren't on a par with others on the Board. We're all a friendly group of folks who support people who need a push in the right direction.

That being said, I'd never post any of my work on the Board. Most have glaring mistakes that only stand out in my eye but would in another quilter's eye as well. Eventually I'll get the hang of this craft, only been at it about 7 years.:-(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast