Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
matching fabric to a pattern >

matching fabric to a pattern

matching fabric to a pattern

Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM

I have seen several beautiful fabrics lately, but I have no earthly idea what pattern to use. Does this come with experience, or is there some unknown quilt guru somewhere? I need help! Sherry Mcd
Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM

If the fabrics are part of larger collections, you can often find free patterns on the various company websites.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have purchased some beautiful fabric and can't decide on how to use it! I've actually have 2 projects ahead of it so, one day I'll sit down with coffee - go through my books, surf the net and enjoy until I figure it out. ;-)
Old 02-23-2010, 06:23 PM

I have done the same thing. It seems easier to match material to a pattern than the other way around. Some times it has to just sit there till you find the right pattern calling you.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I'm in the same boat. I have purchased some beautiful fabric and can't decide on how to use it! I've actually have 2 projects ahead of it so, one day I'll sit down with coffee - go through my books, surf the net and enjoy until I figure it out. ;-)
I am in the same boat, I buy fabric cause I have to have it, and then it takes me a long time to cut it up.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 AM

I do the same thing. I try to start withthe pattern then find the fabric. I've also been trying to go through my stash before I go shopping for fabric for a new project.

The other thing to look at is the pattern of the fabric and what it might lend itself to. Is it large patterns that you don't want to cut into little pieces? Blenders that would complemement other fabric? Once in a great while the fabric will yell at me what it wants to do! :0)
Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 AM

I recently found an asian pattern that I dearly love. But finding the fabrics, that was work.

I got into my paint program and began pulling different fabrics into a window with the pattern and then cutting and pasting to find what would do what I wanted it to. It's taken a fair amount of the month to come up with the 6 fabrics I needed to do the quilt.

I'm thinking that the same process would probably work in reverse. That is if you found the fabric on line or can take you digital camera into the fabric store.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 AM

good suggestion. thank you. s.m.