Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Math Again >

Math Again

Math Again

Old 10-09-2023, 12:28 PM

Default Math Again

I'm working on a Square within a Square quilt top and am thinking about adding sashing and need a little help figuring out what I need. I have 60 blocks (laid out 6 x 10) all squared up to 8.5 inches so they should finish out at 8 inches (should being the operative word). I have a bunch of 1.5 inch strips left over from another project and was thinking about using those for the sashing. They are all different lengths and I have not measured them yet. If I have done my math (math and I don't get along...never have ) correctly, I should need 1016.5 inches of the sashing material. I figured the length of the rows to be 53.5 once the sashing is added between the blocks (5 sashing per row) and will need 9. Does anyone have a good way to calculate sashing or can point me to a YouTube or website to help?

Thanks,
Shari
Old 10-09-2023, 01:03 PM

I have found the "All-in-one Quilter's Reference Tool" by Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson, and Liz Aneloski. To be very helpful when making quilts. It gives info on Yardage Requirements, Cutting instructions, Setting secrets, Number Conversions ect and there are several charts. There are some on sashings.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I have found the "All-in-one Quilter's Reference Tool" by Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson, and Liz Aneloski. To be very helpful when making quilts. It gives info on Yardage Requirements, Cutting instructions, Setting secrets, Number Conversions ect and there are several charts. There are some on sashings.
Thank you for the insight. I found a few on eBay and the pricing is good too.

Shari