Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Math is Making Me Crazy! Help! >

The Math is Making Me Crazy! Help!

The Math is Making Me Crazy! Help!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM

IMHO it is better to cut the border exactly the right size, then pin it well. If you add an inch, then you might use it up and then the border will be wavy. I like waves, but not in my quilt!! )
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Measuring is the way to go!

I measure 3 times, average it out, cut the borders to THAT measurement, apply the borders by pinning the center of border to center of top. Pin ends to ends. Ease the rest in - pinning as I go.
Sew. Press open.
Repeat steps.

If the description doesn't make sense....check out this youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQjYVAgUGo

As a longarm quilter, I can tell who's applied borders correctly and who just sewed on fabric and cut the ends off.
I can tell because the borders WAVE at me!

Nan

Last edited by quiltinghere; 04-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:29 PM

I agree cut the exact measurement to prevent waves..ask me how I know.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
I think that would be correct, but I'd probably cut longer and trim.
That's what I'd do----just 4 or 5 inches longer would give you more than enough wiggle room
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 PM

I was taught to measure down the centre of the quilt to get the correct size and stop waves . Am I wrong?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I was taught to measure down the centre of the quilt to get the correct size and stop waves . Am I wrong?
That is the best way to avoid waves.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 AM

I use Bonnie Hunter's suggestion of not using a measuring tape at all (measuring tapes can stretch).

I fold my quilt in half. Along the folded edge, I lay my 2 pieces of pressed border fabric for that side with one clean cut edge against one end of the quilt. Then I smooth out the fabric all the way to the other edge and cut even with the other edge - be careful not to stretch. If the quilt is larger than the surface I am doing this on, I will pin every so often so it doesn't shift. Then fold both the top and the border pieces to mark the quarter points, pin, matching the quarter points and sew. I pin every 6-8" or so (my preference). Press the seam and fold the quilt in the other direction and repeat. It's much easier than trying to calculate measurements and comes out perfect every time. I have made many quilts this way and never have wavy borders to deal with.

Here is a link to her border hints:
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...der-hints.html
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 AM

I will say, I usually miter my borders, so I always have 5-10ins on each side left over for the mitering. But I do measure from the center out, and pin from the center out. Have cut it close a few times, and a couple times even cut it less than close that is how I ended up with scalloped borders, lol it can hide the "opps" in not cutting long enough for the miters
Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Me also. AND it was just recently suggested to me to lay both pieces of border fabric (cut to width) on top of one another down the center of the quilt lining up top edge and then cutting to the correct length at the bottom edge so you get both borders exactly the same.

I always start pinning in the center; then the ends; then taking those half sections and just keep halving those sections to ease/stretch as necessary. By continually halving those unpinned sections, you are evenly distributing any ease or stretch through the entire length (or width) of your quilt.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

This is the way I was taught. IF you cut even an inch extra for 'wiggle room' you may get a wavy border. Cut the border exactly to the average of the 3 measurements and ease if you have to.
Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
Measuring is the way to go!

I measure 3 times, average it out, cut the borders to THAT measurement, apply the borders by pinning the center of border to center of top. Pin ends to ends. Ease the rest in - pinning as I go.
Sew. Press open.
Repeat steps.

If the description doesn't make sense....check out this youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQjYVAgUGo

As a longarm quilter, I can tell who's applied borders correctly and who just sewed on fabric and cut the ends off.
I can tell because the borders WAVE at me!

Nan