Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: math question help!!

math question help!!

I want to make these http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/2...y-hexagon.html but do not want to use strip sets I have the 60degree ruler so how do I figure what size pie shapes to cut lets say for a 10 inch round table mat the ruler can cut up to 9 inches if I cut the full 9 inches how big will the table matt be? not sure think I need 6 or 8 to make one matt. thanks all

Her strips are 2.5", so will finish at 2", so the whole piece will be 16 inches across. To get the 9 inches, you could use three strips cut at 3.5". Or four strips cut at 2.75" That would make a matt about 18" wide. To get a matt 10 inches you need four strips each 1.75' wide.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Nice tutorial on that blog, thanks!

To make a 10" hexagon you will need to cut 6 5 1/2" 60 degree triangles. You said that you don't want to use strip sets, so I assume you want to use a single fabric. Just cut a 5 1/2" strip, then cut your triangles from it just as it is shown in the pictures. Join 3 together to make a half hexagon -- repeat. Then sew each group of 3 together to make your hexagon. This is the method I use to make my one block wonders! The whole template of 9" will yield a mat about 17" wide. Ann
    Last edited by krafty14; 05-10-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

thanks everyone how do you figure these out I am soooo not good with the math part of quilting that and matching the colors that's why Im cutting one fabric floral and a contrast to make the hex mat

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    thats nice but yikes looks complicated for me