Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mathematically challenged!!! >

mathematically challenged!!!

mathematically challenged!!!

Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Smile mathematically challenged!!!

Since I am a "mathematically challenged golden ager" I need a little math help. How big do I cut strips to make a 6" finished 9 patch block and a 6" finished 4 patch. See, I told you.............mathematically challenged. But I can spell mathematically correctly! haha! I appreciate any help from this board. I have a panel to complete and wanted to make these for the border. I want to be sure it finishes at 6 inches when completely sewn in so I know I will need the 1/4" seam added to it. Thanks so much to anyone who can figure this out and help me with this project. Hope everyone is having a good Saturday. Heading out to run errands so I'll check back in late this afternoon.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 AM

For the 9-patch, cut 2-1/2" strips. For the 4-patch, cut 3-1/2" strips.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Since I am a "mathematically challenged golden ager" I need a little math help. How big do I cut strips to make a 6" finished 9 patch block and a 6" finished 4 patch. See, I told you.............mathematically challenged. But I can spell mathematically correctly! haha! I appreciate any help from this board. I have a panel to complete and wanted to make these for the border. I want to be sure it finishes at 6 inches when completely sewn in so I know I will need the 1/4" seam added to it. Thanks so much to anyone who can figure this out and help me with this project. Hope everyone is having a good Saturday. Heading out to run errands so I'll check back in late this afternoon.

9 patch--------each square should be 2.5 and for the 4 patch each square should be 3.5
Old 08-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Katier is right. I am also as you described yourself. Sometimes I find it easier to deal with finished size then when I have that measurement, just add the 1/2 for the seam allowances. As the say goes, Keep it simple stupid (referring to myself) !!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:55 AM

Default Thank you.

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Thanks for the help. I now have another question. What is the measurement for the block to come out at 6"? It would be 6.5 by 6.5, correct? I feel so dumb that I can't be sure of this. I just don't trust my own brain! yikes!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Katier is right. I am also as you described yourself. Sometimes I find it easier to deal with finished size then when I have that measurement, just add the 1/2 for the seam allowances. As the say goes, Keep it simple stupid (referring to myself) !!
Thank you maniacquilter. Really am feeling "duh" this am! Will let you all know how it goes! I appreciate so much the help as there is no one near me who quilts that I can call and ask a stupid question! keep it simple is great!
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Thanks for the help. I now have another question. What is the measurement for the block to come out at 6"? It would be 6.5 by 6.5, correct? I feel so dumb that I can't be sure of this. I just don't trust my own brain! yikes!
yes, the unfinished size will be 6.5x6.5
Old 08-16-2014, 02:06 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'll bet it's not that you are math challenged, but that you are math insecure. You learned all this stuff, and if you've shopped a day in your life, or managed a recipe, or bought something on sale, you've used it. Trust yourself.

And I'd bet if you'd teach yourself how to draw blocks out on graph paper, you'd get it even faster.

Jan in VA
Old 08-17-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
This is such a good tip to think of the finished size and then add the seam allowances which will always be 1/2" because there are two seams.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I'll bet it's not that you are math challenged, but that you are math insecure. You learned all this stuff, and if you've shopped a day in your life, or managed a recipe, or bought something on sale, you've used it. Trust yourself.

And I'd bet if you'd teach yourself how to draw blocks out on graph paper, you'd get it even faster.

Jan in VA
you are so right Jan! now, if I could only remember where I put my graph paper! lol!