Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: This may be a dumb question but . . . .

  1. #26
    Junior Member pattipat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oilville VA
    Posts
    189
    Wow leaders and enders are so clever.

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12
    Thank you kayluvs2quilt for saying that. I am a newby quilter and rarely ask questions for fear that one of the seasoned vets will laugh or sneer. But so many of you guys are so kind. Yes there are some snobs, but most of you are just great! I keep reading what you guys have to say and am LEARNING SO MUCH... but if I'd felt the liberty to ask, I would have completed more quilts with fewer gaffs!

  3. #28
    Senior Member laurlync's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas
    Posts
    630
    I made a top last year using one of Bonnie Hunter's Leaders and Enders pattern that she has posted for free on her website. Here is a link to my post last year with pictures.

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t95998.html

    I also just finished another top a couple weeks ago that was mostly pieced as leaders and enders. I generally use 2 1/2" squares and keep a stack of darks and a stack of lights near my machine. I do chain piecing, but whenever I do need to end my chain, I just grab a pair of squares and run them through. Once I have a stack of sewn sets, I'll press them then position them for sewing into 4-patches. When I have enough for a quilt, I'll add my other blocks or whatever is needed.

    You could also do this with any top you want to piece, for instance, if you wanted to do a scrappy log cabin, you could cut the pieces and keep them by your machine to use a leaders and enders while piecing other quilts. Before you know it, you have quite a few of your blocks done.

    I LOVE Bonnie's website and check in there often. She also has a blog and a Yahoo group.
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

  4. #29
    Super Member caspharm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,911
    After reading another column about leaders and enders, I have started using my extra triangles from some snowball blocks I made as leaders and enders. It will be fun to do see what I can make after. I didn't even thing of squares or leftover long pieces.

  5. #30
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,156
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfadden View Post
    Can someone tell me what leaders and enders are and what they're used for? I've seen passing references to them, but have no idea what they are.
    I used my leaders and enders to make a crib sized 9 patch quilt. Its a great way to make 2 quilts at once. Instead of using a scrap of fabric to sew off onto, I used a pair of 2.5" squares.
    Sharon W. in Texas

  6. #31
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,934
    what a wonderful idea, does everybody do this? I never heard of it before.

  7. #32
    Super Member Charleen DiSante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    near Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,000
    That's a good idea. You can also sew across the corner and make the triangles into a square before you cut it off. I HAT trying to sew triangles because of the problem with bias stretching. From now on I'm keeping my little squares at hand to piece. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    After reading another column about leaders and enders, I have started using my extra triangles from some snowball blocks I made as leaders and enders. It will be fun to do see what I can make after. I didn't even thing of squares or leftover long pieces.
    Charlie DiSante

  8. #33
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,069
    I use scrap pieces for leaders to keep from having a little "bird's nest" at the beginning of the blocks and to keep the machine from pulling the fabric into it. But what confuses me about then using these scraps for a quilt is how are the pieces "good enough" to use? Why wouldn't they be the same as or have the same problems that you are protecting your original block from? Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say

  9. #34
    Super Member dublb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brady TX
    Posts
    5,905
    This is how I'm making my 1" stamp quilt. I have 2, 10" blocks & enough 2 patches for another block. I'm ready to start sewing 'em into 4 patches.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

  10. #35
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,586
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    I use scrap pieces for leaders to keep from having a little "bird's nest" at the beginning of the blocks and to keep the machine from pulling the fabric into it. But what confuses me about then using these scraps for a quilt is how are the pieces "good enough" to use? Why wouldn't they be the same as or have the same problems that you are protecting your original block from? Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say
    I think the object is to always have something connected to your thread ends which prevents the problems you are trying to avoid. The ender is left attached to the thread and becomes your leader for the next time you start a seam. This way you don't have any pieces that are not "good enough to use". The only time you have to deal with those annoying issues becomes when you change your thread.
    This doesn't apply to quilting. Only when you are doing your piecing, sewing strips, etc., where you have lots of starts and stops. For strip piecing, I still use leaders and enders for each strip.
    Linda Wedge White

    I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

  11. #36
    Super Member mountain deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Petersburg, WV
    Posts
    1,555
    I needed that, thanks.
    ABCDEFG

  12. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    233
    Great question and great answer! Now I get it!


    Originally Posted by suern3
    I use scrap pieces for leaders to keep from having a little "bird's nest" at the beginning of the blocks and to keep the machine from pulling the fabric into it. But what confuses me about then using these scraps for a quilt is how are the pieces "good enough" to use? Why wouldn't they be the same as or have the same problems that you are protecting your original block from? Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say






    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I think the object is to always have something connected to your thread ends which prevents the problems you are trying to avoid. The ender is left attached to the thread and becomes your leader for the next time you start a seam. This way you don't have any pieces that are not "good enough to use". The only time you have to deal with those annoying issues becomes when you change your thread.
    This doesn't apply to quilting. Only when you are doing your piecing, sewing strips, etc., where you have lots of starts and stops. For strip piecing, I still use leaders and enders for each strip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.