Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
May have worn out seam ripper. >

May have worn out seam ripper.

May have worn out seam ripper.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I like Clover seam rippers and believe me I have many! They are my favorites, along with the one I got with my Bernina. I don't know what that one is but I love it.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:04 AM

I have been there and done that. Love your picture of the quilt. Sometimes I just don't pay attention to what foot I have on my machine and sew away until I discover my seams are a different size!! Not fun to get the old ripper out and get to work. Don't work too hard on your ripping out some seams
Old 01-17-2021, 07:22 AM

I learned the hard way to always use the same foot and, in my case, the same machine for the whole quilt top. Sorry you're having to do the frog stitch.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
OnebyOne - So sorry you have such difficulty with reflux. One question. You mentioned ordering 5 seam rippers - What is your favorite? I end up using one enough it might be nice to have something other than the cheap little one I use. Thanks!
I don't have a problem with reflux anymore thank goodness. I ordered five Clover seam rippers. I have others of various brands but Clover is my favorite.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:53 PM

It's always good to have a seam ripper that is comfortable to your hand. For a long time now I have said that it's not made by me if there isn't at least one seam has to be ripped out, usually a lot more. So I keep rippers by all my machines, in every basket. And if I find a nice ripper on sale I will pick it up and throw out an old one.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:09 PM

Is this your own design, Julienm1, or is it a commercial pattern? I think I'd like to try it using my collection of thrifted men's shirts.

Last edited by SeamsSoSimple; 01-17-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:49 PM

Hope today is going better for you, Julienm1!

Hang in there, I'm sure your quilt will be worth it all in the end.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:39 AM

I used to go through seam rippers like candy, but then I found out there's actually a way to sharpen them. Considering I have one of those brass seam rippers that cost $15, I decided I was going to find out if there's a way to keep them sharp because I am not going to throw out a $15 seam ripper when it goes dull.

Get a set of jeweler's awls, they're like $5-6 on Amazon. I've got some but I'm re-organizing my quilting corner today and it's all the way upended, as soon as I find them, I'll snap a pic and post it, but all you do with the awl is run it one way along one side of the seam ripper, then repeat it with the other side. Go back and forth several times, test it on a seam, go back and sharpen again if it's not sharp enough. Once it's as sharp as you need it, you're good to go.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I use the corner edge of a small smooth Arkansas Soft whet stone to sharpen mine. It works great. I found a small one in a museum gift shop and it is the perfect size. I didn't have to keep trying to find my husband's whetstone when I needed it.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Yesterday as I was using my seam ripper way too much I was wondering if there ever comes a point where we can retire them. Guess not for me.
Your quilt is very pretty