Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
May I have your opinion? >

May I have your opinion?

May I have your opinion?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 AM

I often use pieces that size for applique. Besides I hate to throw away fabric. I keep the tiny pieces (the size of your smallest ones) in a plastic butter tub (I reuse those, too) so they are handy when I need them. I save tiny pieces of fusible webbing for the same reasons.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 AM

trash
Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 AM

You do beautiful work with small pieces, as does my sister. One man/woman's trash is another's treasure. My sister makes beautiful crazy quilts out of pieces that small. Someday we may all regret not saving those pieces for quilts. As it is, we are a throwaway society and we need people like you to realize that a small piece of fabric could be part of a big quilt.

Edie
Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 AM

Not usable to me, unless I was doing the smallest of miniatures.
Why not try sewing them together, any which way, to make a piece of fabric, then decide if it's usable to you.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 AM

Here,we save them to stuff dog pillows for the local shelters.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 AM

Lori, I think it depends on what you do besides just piecing blocks...small pieces are good for paper piecing, or foundation piecing. I just learned this and love it.
Also, anythign too small to use, I put in a special bag, to use for stuffing for items you might want to make...
I want enough to make a dog bed, actually 2 dog beds.....and am getting there fast. I also save the pieces of batting that are not useable, for the same purpose.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 AM

Sometimes I keep small scraps like those for my kiddos to glue on cardboard and make "pictures" with. Most times I throw them out.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 AM

You can cut these small scraps into confetti. Just lay on cutting mat and run over and over with your rotary cutter. If you keep the colors separate, you can sketch out a nature scene or something else, sprinkle the colors in the proper places. (browns for a tree trunks--greens for leaves--etc) Then lay net over the top and actually stitch the whole thing down. There is a Japanese lady that makes beautiful quilts this way, sorry but I can't remember her name right now.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 AM

Trash.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
You can cut these small scraps into confetti. Just lay on cutting mat and run over and over with your rotary cutter. If you keep the colors separate, you can sketch out a nature scene or something else, sprinkle the colors in the proper places. (browns for a tree trunks--greens for leaves--etc) Then lay net over the top and actually stitch the whole thing down. There is a Japanese lady that makes beautiful quilts this way, sorry but I can't remember her name right now.
I have seen those and have a book on how to do that. I don't know what in the world I was thinking when I bought that book! I must have been in La-La land or something. I have enough trouble getting plain blocks pieced. And as for scraps I like all those great ideas for pet beds etc. But for me to have another bin or basket to trip over to keep the scraps in, well it just won't happen. I have waste baskets all over the place and still can't seem to hit them.