Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This may sound cheap...however >

This may sound cheap...however

This may sound cheap...however

Old 09-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Default This may sound cheap...however

I have vowed to keep a stash to the minimum, patterns and books to a select few, but now I am interested in making a bargello and found a male designer ( not sure if I should /can post his name) that does some interesting designs, but buying just one of his pattern is really limiting and so far I do not see a book with his name as being the author? I likely want to make a bed sized quilt and like a challenge...any suggestions as to a book that you found and had to buy?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Derek Lockwood has some of the most interesting and complex Bargello patterns I have seen like Mystique, Night lights and Illusion but I don't think he has compiled them into a book. I only have one book and that is Twist and Turn Bargello by Eileen Wright. It has several nice patterns in it.

Edited to add, How many different bargellos do you think you will do? If you foresee many in your future, then continue the hunt for a book. But if you think one will satiate your desire for a bargello quilt then spring for the pattern you saw that you really liked. And don't dismiss that color theme/placement can make the same pattern look totally different when it comes to bargellos.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-10-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 AM

I bought a cheap bargello book on eBay.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

and check with your library to see if they have something you can use
Old 09-10-2015, 01:02 PM

Here's a link to some free ones: http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...lo-quilts.html
Old 09-10-2015, 01:23 PM

You are allowed to write the name of authors, quilters, politicians, etc in your posts. Just don't discuss politics, religion, or matters concerning sexual orientation.

Anyhow, there are a million good books on Bargello... Browse Amazon.com.

I applaud your desire to keep the stash small but remember, a whirlwind of colors, patterns, and textures will open your mind to the possibilities of what can be done.

tim in san jose (see, I posted the name of a quilter)
Old 09-10-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Derek Lockwood has some of the most interesting and complex Bargello patterns I have seen like Mystique, Night lights and Illusion but I don't think he has compiled them into a book. I only have one book and that is Twist and Turn Bargello by Eileen Wright. It has several nice patterns in it.

Edited to add, How many different bargellos do you think you will do? If you foresee many in your future, then continue the hunt for a book. But if you think one will satiate your desire for a bargello quilt then spring for the pattern you saw that you really liked. And don't dismiss that color theme/placement can make the same pattern look totally different when it comes to bargellos.
You picked the right designer and you are correct about this likely a one time deal. However, the one design I like (Mirage) is only 45X45 and never having made a bargello before I am not sure expanding this into a full or larger is something intuitive once you get going...or is his design skill set such that you likely need the pattern to fit the bed? I thought a book might give me more information on how to "math it out" for a larger quilt and if I cannot create it without the pattern...logically I would go that route as well.

Aside: Tim....I get the color thing...my avatar I hopefully shows I am not shy with colors. John

Last edited by Basketman; 09-10-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I have BOTH of Eileen Wright books: Twist and Turn Bargello and More Twist and Turn Bargello. It has several nice patterns in it which I have made several. There are some changeling quilts and some simple quilts in both books.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I was just looking at these earlier. Lots videos with basic instructions.
Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
Old 09-10-2015, 01:58 PM

John,
My comment was not to comment on you in particular but to advance the notion that a well stocked stash can seed the creative process. My stash is not huge but pretty much should keep me in fabric for the rest of my life, only augmenting it with specific requirements for any one quilt I happen to be working on. In other words, 95% of the fabric I need for a quilt I probably already have.
I can go into my quilting room and come out with a fresh design just by sorting through this box or that.

tim