Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Maybe buying a Husqvarna Embriodery Designer 1- need lots of advice! >

Maybe buying a Husqvarna Embriodery Designer 1- need lots of advice!

Maybe buying a Husqvarna Embriodery Designer 1- need lots of advice!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 AM

Amazon is an excellent source for "old technology" such as floppy disks, PC cards, etc. not to worry. Ebay too.

Sandy
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 AM

I started with the D1 and later bought my daughter a D1 that she is still using...I loved it and wish I had kept it for a 2nd machine. I have the Diamond now. I Still use Embird as my program to resize and combined and transfer, a nice program for the price. You should ask how old the machine is and if they are the original owner. Are they giving you any floppys or designs with it? I don't think most computers have a floppy drive on them any more so you would have to get one. It looks like a nice machine. These were the top of the line machines at one time. I bought my first one on Ebay for 3500. You can check out ebay and see what they are selling for.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 AM

I worked for Viking for a while. The D1 is an Excellent machine. The fact that the designs are on floppy should not be a deterrent. Because the format of the floppy is a propitiatory format as is the file extension of the designs, you do need a program to write to the floppy (you can not just drag and drop). There are several programs out there that do that now. Of course 4D/5D will do it (both Viking and Pfaff versions) there is/was a " 3D Organizer" program which came with the machine that would do it. That program however does not run on the newer operating systems (to my best knowledge) but 5D organizer will as well which is available. There are as well as a handful of other programs. There were a couple of threads recently right here on this topic with several possible solutions.

IMHO - what ever you do - if you purchase the machine - do not in any way let a Viking dealer talk you into the USB upgrade. Because the software to "run" the USB is actually "loaded" right on the the usb stick and it must run first and the transfer of files and take much longer. The floppys are still available and work just fine. When I worked - we had many clients who had wished that they had never done the upgrade.

If it is a good price, you like it and it is within your budget - it is a great machine and should service you for a long time.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 AM

It is a good machine. Many have said you need a newer version of software to use the floppies. Well, right now Viking has a great deal for anyone with "any" software. You can get a trade-in allowance of 350 toward new software. The software doesn't have to be Viking like the 3D or 4D, it can be any.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
I wouldn't recommend this machine as it is really hard to get the floppy disks. I had one and upgraded to the Designer SE with usb. Just my opinion.
I have two Viking Embroidery machines and the only one I would recommend is the SE. It is an old machine but it is the best machine I have ever had. Even the women who work at the Viking site agree that the SE is the best of the machines.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 AM

I'd not get it at all--even for very cheap (much cheaper than $700). It is old technology and we aren't going back there. Keep looking for another used embroidery machine--but newer. You'll find it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 AM

If you are willing to spend $700, just check ebay. You can get more modern machines for that much money with USB capabilities.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:13 PM

I just bought my 3rd Husqvarna Viking machine the other day and I love it. So far anyway. The new one is the #1+ and it is pretty amazing. I got it super cheap, only 120.00. The only problem is the embroidery unit is missing. I am wondering if I should keep an eye out for one, or just use it as is. It came with 4 of the cassettes so it has a bazillion stitches. I know that the technology is outdated, and I would love to have a more modern embroidery machine. Maybe someday. If anyone has an idea how to find the embroidery unit, please let me know. I have searched a bit online and not been successful.