Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Maybe a stupic embroidery question, but...

If I order a design that is sold as sized 5" x 5", for example, will I be able to resize it either smaller or larger on my Pfaff Creative Vision embroidery machine? I;m interested in buying some 'in the hoop' machine quilting designs, but they come in so many sizes that I feel confused -- This is my first venture into this type of quilting.

I can't speak to the machine you have, but I have a Husquvarna Viking, and I am able to resize images with the software that came with it. However, it doesn't always work out so well, particularly in downsizing things. I think it's because it tries to do the same number of stitches in a smaller space, and the thread just gets all bunched up. Maybe just try it on one first?

I think you can. I use a free program called stitch era universal that might be able to do what you want, and the best part is...... It's a free program

Blog Entries
    The problem with resizing usually comes with the stitch density as sarge1 mentioned. Most designs can accomodate 10-20% increase or descrease without problems. If you have software with your machine, there should be some info as to its capabilities and limitations.

Also most embroidery designers offer their work with this already taken into account and allow you to purchase for your specific size hoop or multiple sizes for a slightly higher cost. You can always ask them before you purchase.

I am not familiar with your machine and the size hoops it has. A 5X5 design would be done in a 5X7 if your machine has that size. I have a program call Designers Gallery and I can resize designs with it and it automatically reduces or increases the stitch count when I reduce or enlarge a design. Most all embroidery machines will reduce or enlarge a design, but the stitch count doesn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    If I order a design that is sold as sized 5" x 5", for example, will I be able to resize it either smaller or larger on my Pfaff Creative Vision embroidery machine? I;m interested in buying some 'in the hoop' machine quilting designs, but they come in so many sizes that I feel confused -- This is my first venture into this type of quilting.
    Most machines will allow a resize by 10% on the machine it's self. If you want to resize in + or - % you can try a progam by SandScomputing.com.

I know I can resize patterns on my Pfaff, but I haven't tried it yet.