Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • McCall's Quilting Adventures >
  • McCall's Quilting Adventures

• McCall's Quilting Adventures

Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Has anyone ever gone on one of these? Some of them look really great like Ireland and Italy. Colonial Williamsburg is one I would really like to see.

http://www.mccallsquiltingadventures...olonial10.html

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Sounds really interesting and something I would do if finances permitted.

Are you thinking of going?
    Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
    Power Poster

Those sound like a lot of fun :D
    Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM

I think I would really like the Colonial Williamsburg one. It would be a good one for me to get my feet wet while staying in the US. :wink: I am very seriously thinking about it but, it's a year away still.

The Peru one looks interesting too. I am very interested in ancient cultures and do want to see those places someday.
    Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Pam---my husband and I just spent a week in Williamsburg this past May. We stayed in one of the actual Colonial Houses there and toured every single site in the area. It was a lot of fun, but if you are going because you want to see a lot of antique quilts, I am afraid you would be disappointed. There is a nice museum there and it had a quilt exhibit. But, it was a small exhibit and it changes periodically. The quilts were not ones from the Colonial Williamsburg area, even. There was not even a quilting demonstration on the area while we were there.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, just ask lots of questions and have realistic expectations. I would hate for you to spend a ton of money and then be disappointed in the end.

I took pics of some of the quilts in the museum. If you are interested in seeing them, I would be happy to post them for you.....

Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I would like to see the historical places, not just quilts, so I don't know that I would be disappointed. They don't have the itenerary out yet but the other places, like Ireland and Peru, aren't all about quilts and include dining, wine tasting, cooking and weaving demos.

I was going to ask my sister if she might be interested though I don't think she would care about the quilting aspect. She might be interested in just going for historical tours as I know she loved Boston when she went there.
    Old 08-25-2009, 04:38 AM

We live within relatively easy traveling distance of Williamsburg, and it's one of my favorite places. I especially like it becasue all the historic locations are in the restored area - not a house here and a house across town, so you get the feel of the colonial times. But Marcia is right, unless they are adding another quilting exhibition for this, quilts are hard to find. I think the thing with colonial quilts is, really, is that they were made for utility, and largely did not survive from those days.