Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is it me? >

is it me?

is it me?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Not really sure if I'm right or wrong, but do you have your feed dogs dropped? I'm new to FMQ, and I make that mistake alot. Also, if I keep sewing but don't move the fabric, I get tangles. Just a thought. I'm sure the board can help you out.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Welcome to the board...Are you using a walking foot? That is a must use tool to machine quilt!! Good luck..be sure and post a photo of the finished project for us to see...crafty_linda_b
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 AM

in addition to the other bobbin tips, be sure to use that little brush that you wondered what it was for, to clean out the housing that the bobbin goes in to. lint and tiny thread snippets are brutal.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Please do not adjust your bobbin tension__the very last thing!!! and usually it is not the bottom tension. Just rethread upper and lower threads, clean bobbin area. Then pull up bobbin thread, hold both threads (pull up about 4 inches first) then sew on a scrap and keep sewing onto your project, most likely your thread will not bunch up when you try this.
Hope this works for you. Good luck!! Marilyn
Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by simplyme
Try re=threading your machine both top and bottom and then try again. This is what I do first.
This works for me. Sometimes I don't get it threaded right.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Also try a new needle. That and rethreading the whole machine sometimes odes the trick.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ratz29
Welcome to the board! I had all sorts of problems. Rethreaded the machine, new needle every thing being said here. Nothing worked. I goolged my problem and found some different answers. One was when threading machine and bobbin make sure you here the thread click into the tension holder. The one that ended up being my problem was CLEAN the machine. I guess I wans't doing it enough or good enough. Boy did I feel stupid.
I don't think you need to feel silly or otherwise. Believe it or not, I've copied out some of these answers and now I have a "go to" file for this problem. Besides, I think this is a great way to learn something - asking questions!
Just glad you got it fixed!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Also, before you start a line of sewing, are you bringing the bottom thread to the top of the quilt? When I was brand new, I was not aware of this practice and it was a problem!

To bring the bottom (bobbin) thread to the top, take the first stitch (I just turn my wheel) down into the quilt and back up and pull the loop of bottom thread up, hold the tails of both threads for your first few stitches.
That would be my suggestion - my viking jams everytime I forget this - I also start sewing on a scrap cloth - I find it helps with my 1/4" seams
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM

You may need to get a better quality needle, and make sure that the bobbin thread is pulled to the back of the machine after you place the quilt under the sewing foot ( I use an even feed foot on my Janome for top stitching quilt layers), and you hold on to the top thread for the first 2 or 3 stitches. each machine is quirky and you get to know what your machines likes.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
As these ladies have said, check your tensions, pull your bobbin thread to the top... and ... make sure your needle is sharp. Sometimes that can be caused by something as simple as a dull needle.
Make sure the needle isn't in backwards, too!

LoriAnn