Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Meandering - It exhausts me!

oh my I would give my right arm for an HQ16 but I can't justify the cost. How do you like it? I either do meandering or I use my janome 350e to embroider a design in each sandwiched square. Depends on my mood

Wish I had a nickel (or even a penny) for every mile I've 'meandered.' I, too, am a meandering fan---first on a domestic machine and now on a Gammill. Have you tried meandering to music? That helped me in the beginning, and now I continue to do it that way---you can get a rhythm going.

Quote Originally Posted by Missus Fear View Post
    Idea! What about hiding things in it?
    I love this idea!!!!!!! That is so fun! I'm working on a quilt now for my adult stepson, and I just might hide a couple of surprises in there for him.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    Mine is an "old" HQ16, too. My frame is TERRIBLE. The poles droop so badly.

I think part of my problem with meandering (not stippling, shudder!) is that it is too dense. I am not one for heavy quilting. I have seen what I think are beautiful quilts but I think the quilting is too dense and distracts from the quilt.

Mary
    You can learn to meander in all sizes. I took a class where we were trying all different sizes including loops the size of juice cans! I also like soft quilting on most quilts. I generally use a meander that has loops about 2" apart. Meets my need for soft result but good for holding things that get a lot of washing. I found I have to look at the spaces not the meander lines.

Pam

[QUOTE=sept97;5598672]oh my I would give my right arm for an HQ16 but I can't justify the cost.

Save your pennies and anything else. I paid $2,500 for mine on Craigslist. I know there have been times in my life that even that would have been impossible. I had 4 kids then.

Blog Entries
    I love "meandering" too; but I am not the one who runs my Gammill--my son loves "stippling" and calls it "jigsaw puzzle"--and whichever we select and he does on a quilt is beautiful; absolutely just "makes the quilt a star"--you all should see us admiring and gloating over his quilts when they come off the rolls. I have about 50 patterns that can be used with the little red light thingy, but most of them are too big quilting (to our way of thinking); we have used a couple of them that have flowers and hearts and stars all mixed in. I realize that close quilting is not necessary to hold the new battings together in the event of heavy use and lots of washings, but big and medium meanderings have become our "go to" favorites.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    Could someone please define meandering. I thought it was stippling, but it seems like some folks here are saying it's different from stippling. Some people are calling it loops, and some are saying to avoid crossing lines. I'm confused.

For me, a FMQ somewhat beginner, I would use a marker to draw in the pattern, and that would relieve the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
    Could someone please define meandering. I thought it was stippling, but it seems like some folks here are saying it's different from stippling. Some people are calling it loops, and some are saying to avoid crossing lines. I'm confused.

For me, a FMQ somewhat beginner, I would use a marker to draw in the pattern, and that would relieve the tension.
    What she said! I thought meandering and stippling were the same thing. Enlighten me please! What's the difference?

Generally stippling is small and tight. It flattens are area to show something else in relief. Meandering is larger, but how large depends on the quilter.

Pam

I have a sweet 16 and love it. All I can do is meandering. I've tried on the quilt I'm working on now to do some designs and the weight of the quilt would pull and then I would be out of line. Did 2 blocks and took it all out which took me two nights. I have rulers but can't seem to get the coordination of holding the rulers and quilt at the same time. Maybe someday?!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I find it so boring that I've actually dozed of a time or two while doing a large area! For a Seuss Christmas quilt I did last year I used WAY too much meandering so finally had to switch up to a curley-Q design for the borders!

Blog Entries
    I mastered stippling/meandering right away on my DSM. It's my last choice nowadays because, to me, it looks like I couldn't think of anything else to do, unless it is in the background to highlight something else. I say, don't force yourself to do it if you hate it. There are plenty of other quilting patterns that you enjoy and probably do a better job on since you do enjoy it. It's OK to say, "I'd much rather do_________."
    Just my two percent. Your mileage may vary.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    That is so sad!! I have my domestic machine set up in front of a window and I quilt ALL my quilts on it (largest one so far is 120 x 120) - there are so many "fun" designs to quilt. Suggest you take a break from your LA and play with your domestic for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Its just one of those things ... some people love it, others hate it. I'm one that loves it - BUT I only like very small or micro stippling, large stippling drives me nuts.

I also test drove both the HQ16 and the Tiara (same machine - different badge) and LOVED it and want one!!
    I test drove the Tiara and the HQ16 at a quilt show last week. I love them. I am in the process of negotiating (actually DH is negotiating) with our local Babylock dealer for the Tiara. I hope they come to an agreement! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I had the 'where do I go next?' issue. I was always meandering myself into a corner. I finally got a white board and practiced while watching TV. That helped a lot.
    I did that also, until I got an iPad. Now I have a drawing app on my iPad and I use that to practice stippling and meandering lines while I am watching tv. I just draw with the tip of my finger and when the screen is full, I erase it and start over. The more I practice, the easier it becomes.

Check this thread out. I've not tried it yet but everyone on the thread that has seems to say it works for them.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...g-t177072.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter View Post
    Check this thread out. I've not tried it yet but everyone on the thread that has seems to say it works for them.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...g-t177072.html
    What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. This looks like a much easier way to meander.

Hint:
    If your machine is setting on a table not in a table- put a rubber wedge type door stop behind it. By tilting the machine slightly your stitching is more visible and also less strenuous on your arms. Also take a break every 20 minutes.

I love doing meandering, but tend to hold my breath while concentrating not to cross lines or make sharp turns. Guess how blue in the face one can get when doing a king size quilt on a dm!

I don't like the curved bumps and the don't cross your lines type of meandering. Paisley or any of that type of rocking back and forth designs seem so much more natural to me. Check out DayStyleDesigns for tons of ideas for quilting designs.

I have done the method mentioned in that thread. I don't have many problems getting myself stuck anymore. I only did this type of meandering because that is what my son thought the quilt needed and it is for HIS son. I have six quilts waiting to be quilted. Going to do something I enjoy more for the next one!

Then I will do something to "teach" me something new on the next. I try to alternate so that I can still enjoy my hobby while learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by sept97 View Post
    oh my I would give my right arm for an HQ16 but I can't justify the cost. How do you like it? I either do meandering or I use my janome 350e to embroider a design in each sandwiched square. Depends on my mood
    Love, love, love it! But yes, a big investment. I debated home improvements vs quilting machine, and decided I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of the quilting machine I find it interesting how my thinking has changed - what seems like an easy design on a home machine (eg, stitch in the ditch) is more complicated on a longarm (starting and stopping all those straight lines? No way). And vice versa - I'm loving pantographs and custom quilting now, designs that were too complex to do on the little machine. But meandering works for both

[I also test drove both the HQ16 and the Tiara (same machine - different badge) and LOVED it and want one!![/QUOTE]
    I am getting to like stippling and am a little nervous about making larger quilting look even. I've commented here several times how much I love the HQSweet16 that I've test driven several times. Keep hoping the universe will find a way for me to get one, though I don't know where I'd put it. A nearby longarmer has one - she's a sales rep, so next time I have something to quilt I'm going to go there and use it.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2