Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
measuring for border question >

measuring for border question

measuring for border question

Old 01-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

The only time I have a problem with wavy borders is when I cut the borders lengthwise of the fabric. Usually I lay a border strip on and sew it to the quilt top and keep the border taut while I sew. I then square up each end. I would never suggest anyone do this as most mess it up and then blame me.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 PM

as someone that long arm quilts for others, you can tell who just sews and cuts borders to fit the quilt as is---if a quilt is not square. There is a good quick video on National Quilter's Society website right now that shows a quick way to square up a quilt and figure the borders. I say "no pleats" (which is what happens when you get those wavy borders)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:19 PM

Eparys is correct. I measured 6" in from the edge and it is the same as the center. The stay stitch reduced the length of the border. That is why it doesn't match. So, I will cut some of the stitches of the stay stitching so that it will stretch come.

My favorite quote in the world is one my Dad attributed to my Grandfather, "Some people live and learn and some just live". I learned something here today. Thanks.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 01-21-2020 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2020, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Maybe take two or three - or four - measurements of the width ; take an average of those numbers - and use that number as the target length for the borders.

however, if one of those numbers is drastically differentt from the others - try to figure out why before proceeding.
I do as Bearisgray and I’m glad you found the answer to your problem. Let us know how it worked out.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Yes. Doing it the way you do gives you a very good possibility that you will have wavy borders, which are a pain to quilt. All those steps and measurements where things could go bad, as you say, are actually preventing things from going bad.
There's only two things that cause waves in the border (or any piecing for that matter) .- either the edge is not straight , or the stitching line is not straight with consistent seam allowances. You can take all the measurements you want, but it won't fix the real problem. The top doesn't even need to be square for good results but for the record, I square tops to be within 1/4 inch, measured diagonally in both directions. If the top piecing and assembly is as it should be, there is very little, to no trimming required.

Joining on the bias edge (such as setting triangles) can cause a little trouble if not attended to. Stay stitching helps but as mentioned you want to avoid stretch as you sew. Even when stay stitched I pin the snot out of setting triangles unless- If I have fabric to burn I place the straight grain on the outer edge, and the bias edges are joined to the top itself.

Pieced borders (ex: piano keys or seminole pieced, etc) cause a different set of problems which are easily handled by improving techniques. The biggest problems with pieced borders is pattern matching at the corners.

Last edited by oldmanquilts; 01-22-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:47 PM

oops! that should read a video on the recent National Quilter's Circle was about squaring up a quilt and measuring for borders