Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Medium weight fabric >

Medium weight fabric

Medium weight fabric

Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Default Medium weight fabric

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to find out where to buy medium weight fabric to make a quilt, or what kind of fabric lasts the longest on a quilt. I'd like to be able to wash mine sometimes, and I haven't figured out yet where to get some fabric that lasts a long time under heavy handling. I'd love any advice anyone might have.

Thanks,
MostlyMaja
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Most of us use quilting cotton in our quilts, and they do last quite a while, 20 years or more with washings. Not sure what you mean by "heavy handling". I made a twin-sized flannel quilt with a muslin backing several years ago. The child it was given to was having some medical issues for a while, and that quilt was washed in hot water many, many times. It has only recently started getting thin and worn around the corners on the binding, and I'm not complaining!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 PM

I presume that regular quilting cotton isn't what you are looking for ... even some of the Asian prints that to me feel heavier??

How about using old blue jeans?? Definitely heavier, and washable.

Pillow ticking is heavier and comes in different colors. I have plans to use some to make a rag quilt.

Cotton broadcloth?
Linen?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 PM

I do know some quilters who have used home dec fabric for quilts. They were very heavy. I didn't find them particularly attractive, but to each her own.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

I believe your concerns are unfounded. Any good quality cotton fabric will last as long as you need provide it gets considerate care even tho washed a lot. Now if you plan on using the quilt in a hospital or nursing home environment with heavy hot water bleach washing,,then no fabric will last especially in commercial laundry.

Perhaps there is more info to know about your question. Having said all this....IKEA has a line of fabric that is a bit heavier than quilt quality and is lighter weight than some decorator fabric.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Well, you can't get any fabric that would last longer then double knit. You can't wear it out. I have several. And you will wear out the thread before the material. It isn't pretty like quilting cotton, but whatever you want it for is the thing.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

That's true about double knits. That fabric is indestructible! Very heavy, though.

Are double knits still sold as yardage? Have to admit I haven't noticed any when I've been in fabric stores, although must admit I wasn't looking for it either.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
That's true about double knits. That fabric is indestructible! Very heavy, though.

Are double knits still sold as yardage? Have to admit I haven't noticed any when I've been in fabric stores, although must admit I wasn't looking for it either.
Check thrift stores.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by MostlyMaja View Post
Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to find out where to buy medium weight fabric to make a quilt, or what kind of fabric lasts the longest on a quilt. I'd like to be able to wash mine sometimes, and I haven't figured out yet where to get some fabric that lasts a long time under heavy handling. I'd love any advice anyone might have.

Thanks,
MostlyMaja
Where are you located? The Yalubusha River? Mississippi?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 AM

I have to agree with others about double knit, if you want a fabric that will wear like iron, then that's the fabric you want. Where to find it, I don't know but I would say yard sales, thrift stores.