Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MegaMat by Quilter's Rule Question >

MegaMat by Quilter's Rule Question

MegaMat by Quilter's Rule Question

Old 06-22-2023, 12:47 PM

Default MegaMat by Quilter's Rule Question

Hi all, I have had my MegaMat for about 15 years and it was time to get a replacement. It arrived, loosely rolled, and I can't remember what the best method is for making it lie nice and flat after shipping. Weight it down overnight??
Old 06-22-2023, 01:44 PM
Gay

I don't have this mat, but will suggest laying it out in the sun for a while.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:28 PM

well, this didn't say but Sun sounds good. i would call them first though.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:44 PM

Watch the heat and sun. Depending on where you are, the heat might be high enough to warp the mat. I'd lay it down with the curled side down and put weights on it.

Here's info from Quilter's Rule on the Mega Mat https://quiltersrule.com/instruction...are-Guide1.pdf It specifically says not to expose it to direct sunlight for long periods or excessive heat. I'd be careful how you try to flatten it.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 06-22-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:54 AM

Caution about laying the mat in the sun or heat. I learned from experience how little heat it took to ruin a mat. Laid a mat flat in the trunk of my car. A couple of hours later I had a ruffled mat that never recovered. A loss and a lesson learned.

I would follow what cashs_mom suggested and just let it sit and relax over night.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:25 AM

I would stack books to weight it down for a while. It took a while for my curled mat to work. It still won't lay flat on its own.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:37 AM

OK, so I stacked bolts of fabric on the mat overnight. Some minor warping remains.

I shot off an email to Quilter's Rule (the maker of the mats) and they got right back to me that day! So I will follow their kindly advice and get back to you all on how it works:

"Good morning, Janet,

I am sorry that your mat is not lying flat after unrolling it from the box. It should. We store our mats flat until the day of shipping, but storage reasons prevent some of our wholesale and distributor customers from storing the mats flat, so they roll and box them upon receipt and store the mats rolled. You may have purchased a mat that has been rolled for quite some time. Sometimes, there is a random mat or two, that just doesn’t quite unfurl properly, though, once it is unboxed.

One best remedy to flatten a mat is with a hot water bath. Run the hottest water you can in a tub and then place the entire mat in the tub – or as much as you can get into the tub. Let it soak for a good 30 minutes or more. Add hot water, as needed. The goal is to loosen as many fibers of the mat as possible. Once the mat has soaked, remove the mat, dry it off, and place it upside down with heavy objects on top of it. Leave it like this for 2-3 days. Sometimes furling the mat in the opposite direction right after the hot water bath (before lying the mat flat) helps, too.

Some people have used carpet tape under a slightly furled mat to keep it adhered flatly to the table-top.

Do not use an iron on the mat.

I hope this information helps!

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please call or email. Quilter’s Rule is open until 11:30am (Central Standard Time) on Fridays. Our office hours on Mondays through Thursdays are from 7:30am-4:30pm. Our phone number is 1-800-343-8671. "
Old 06-23-2023, 06:10 AM

wonderful, they helped. I thought they would. (I forgot to put link to their site, but it said nothing about getting it flat again).
Have fun.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:25 AM

Quiltwoman, you are right that the .pdf they have available says nothing about getting a warped mat flat again. It would be reasonable to add that to the product information.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:06 AM

Yes, i'm not fond of things they roll up to ship!