Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? for members here who published patterns >

? for members here who published patterns

? for members here who published patterns

Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 PM

Default ? for members here who published patterns

I am establishing a cutting business along with a friend who is passionate about drawing and designing but just never put two pieces of fabric together, just interested in making patterns. So if anyone here on the board made some patterns and either published on their own or through a magazine, can you please send me a pm and possibly a phone number so I can ask few questions that concerns him???

Thanks and appreciate any other opinions here too.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

why not just ask your questions? others may be interested in the answers too. I have been a pattern tester for a couple pattern designers- they do both- submit patterns to magazines and self publish after testing results and editing is done.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 AM

How can you design patterns and never have sewn? I am curious.

There is more to being a designer. The written directions have to be well written, detailed, executable for the sewer. Bad directions....no sales.

sandy
Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
How can you design patterns and never have sewn? I am curious.

There is more to being a designer. The written directions have to be well written, detailed, executable for the sewer. Bad directions....no sales.

sandy
This seems to be a legitimate question. Yes, directions must be precise. Also pieces should be designed to fit.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I know a couple very successful quilt designers who do not sew at all- have no desire to sew- but still manage to design beautiful quilts. they use their computer- design software- create their designs, work out all of the details, write the pattern- then turn it over to a handful of pattern testers. we, as testers follow the pattern exactly as written, exact fabric measurements, and keep track of each step- we take notes, any problems, anything not quite right, if there is a big problem that stops 'production' we notify the designer right away to determine how to proceed- at the end of the process we submit pictures and our notes- the designer then 'fine-tunes' the pattern as needed- clarifying anything that needs to be - then the pattern goes where ever for production- whether it is submitted to a magazine, publishing company or self published. .... just like architects do not build every building they design...you do not have to be a quilter to design a quilt-
Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 AM

Thank you ckcowl for your posts. I totally agree with you as this person knows nothing about quilting but so passionate about designing quilts (though he is interested in getting a machine and trying to piece blocks). I got him the how to write your pattern book and I am going to be helping out with writing the pattern as I am picky and like clear instructions. Of course there will be pattern testers to make sure instructions are clear and accurate.

As for the questions I have about publishing, couple of them involve money so can't discuss such details here, but I need to know the steps of publishing. I know that once it is written and tested then it has to be copy write by the appropriate channels, but what is the best route after that? try to market it yourself (which I don't think is a good idea) or publishing company (that's where money questions kicks in) what if it doesn't sell with them??? is he depending on mass selling with a publisher to make up for cost? What if he wants to publish in a magazine!!! I think he would loose his copy write to them???? is it a one time pay and he should move on to make the next pattern??
These are a starting point while we are playing with the patterns he designed so far
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 AM

You mention a How to Write your Pattern book (a title would be nice for those of us who may be interested...hint, hint), but there is also Publish Your Patterns: How to Write, Print, and Market your Designs by Nancy Restuccia. It goes far beyond how to write a pattern and has answers to many of your questions. If that is not what you already have, consider adding it to your resources.
http://www.amazon.com/Publish-Your-P.../dp/0971450102
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 AM

LOL....I gave him the book I bought as soon as I got it and I can't even remember what the title was. It might be the one you mentioned but will check today for you and report back here :-)
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You mention a How to Write your Pattern book (a title would be nice for those of us who may be interested...hint, hint), but there is also Publish Your Patterns: How to Write, Print, and Market your Designs by Nancy Restuccia. It goes far beyond how to write a pattern and has answers to many of your questions. If that is not what you already have, consider adding it to your resources.
http://www.amazon.com/Publish-Your-P.../dp/0971450102
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 PM

I just went to my Amazon order history and it is the same book you referred :-)
Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I know a couple very successful quilt designers who do not sew at all- have no desire to sew- but still manage to design beautiful quilts. they use their computer- design software- create their designs, work out all of the details, write the pattern- then turn it over to a handful of pattern testers. we, as testers follow the pattern exactly as written, exact fabric measurements, and keep track of each step- we take notes, any problems, anything not quite right, if there is a big problem that stops 'production' we notify the designer right away to determine how to proceed- at the end of the process we submit pictures and our notes- the designer then 'fine-tunes' the pattern as needed- clarifying anything that needs to be - then the pattern goes where ever for production- whether it is submitted to a magazine, publishing company or self published. .... just like architects do not build every building they design...you do not have to be a quilter to design a quilt-

OBVIOUSLY then your designer friends accomplish my point! Good for them! Bases covered. They must have a working knowledge of how a pattern goes together too.

"There is more to being a designer. The written directions have to be well written, detailed, executable for the sewer. Bad directions....no sales."

Sandy