Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Memory Craft 6600P

Memory Craft 6600P

Does anyone own one. I am having an awful time with thread breaking. I started a baby blanket last year and then my son passed away in November. I had not been in the mood to sew and my husband bought me this machine.
    I have a ton of thread from connecting thread and it worked fine on my other machine, but I am tryin to finish this quilt as the baby is now 5 months old, but my thread keeps breaking. I only have the border to quilt, and I am free motion meandering.

Any advice would be very appreciated, as to type of thread, weight and needle size that works well on this machine.
    I did not have a problem straight stitching.

Thanks for any help.

Mary

Try rethreading the machine and a new needle. My 6600 is very picky about what thread I use. I use Aurifil mostly and Guterman once in a while. I hope that helps.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    connecting threads works like a charm in my 6600P.

in addition to rethreading your machine as already suggested ...
    make sure you have the feed dogs down.
    make sure the bobbin area is clean.
    check your tension.
    ensure you are using the correct size needle. (for quilting i usually need a 14 or a 16.)
    make sure the bobbin thread is going in the right direction. (i don't want to admit how many times i've put one in backward. LOL)

if you can fit one into your budget, the special bobbin case for free-motion quilting is worth every penny. it isn't critical to a successful project but it does make things much easier.

I have not done any fmq with mine but it doesn't mind any thread I use and I use a lot of Connecting Threads thread. good luck, also you may need to adjust your tension, and be sure the thread is actually between the discs not just stuck in a groove.

Thanks all, sad to say I have tried all those things. I did change my needle to 11/75 due to someones suggestion.
    I cleaned several times, changed needles, changed tension several times. tried different threads and now I am totally confused. It seems when I do straight sewing it cooperates, but when I want to change to fmq I cant seem to get it right.

If you will tell me when you fmq what is your tension, what size needle, what weight and type thread?
    Every time there was a sale of essential thread, I bought several, I think I have every color.

Mary

where do you get this special bobbin case?

Blog Entries
    I use my 6600 to fmq all the time. My tension is usually set at 4. I use essential thread all the time. I had a breaking issue on one quilt and for the life of me can't think of what I did to fix it. I remember doing most of the things Patrice suggested. I believe I got my bobbin case at Allbrands. Sorry I am not much help, but I sure understand your frustration.
    Happy Quilting.

I don't have the special bobbin case, but when I fmq, my upper tension is set at around 7 and tension for the foot is at around 1-2. I never have any trouble with CT cotton threads for fmq, but cannot use poly thread in the top because it shreds. It doesn't seem to mind what needle I use, or what thread is in the bobbin.

I had a problem with thread breaking on my 6600 when I did meandering. Figured out I was moving the quilt way to fast and once I slowed down my problem was solved. My 6600 takes every thread I've thrown at it so far. Hope you get your problem solved, they are great for FMQ.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Neither me or my 6600 like Connecting Threads thread ... I find it way too messy, heavy (compared to other 50wt threads), and lacking in luster. My machine likes to either break it, or shred the ply's apart.

That said ... lots of people DO NOT have a problem with the thread.

I suspect you might be moving the fabric too fast for the machine speed.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I can think of only one more to add to this: be sure that the needle isn't in backwards.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I have a 6600 and had to slow down! Both myself and the machine, and I found I cannot use the same type of thread in the bobbin that I use on top...

Quote Originally Posted by jessiesmom View Post
    where do you get this special bobbin case?
    First I hear of it; what makes it different?

If you've tried everything perhaps it needs to go to the shop. I once had a thread breakage problem and he found that there was a "ding" on one of the parts under there somewhere. He said I had probably hit a pin going over it. Don't know, but he changed the part and my Janome has been singing ever since. I don't have the 6600 but I have the MC4000.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Slow down a little and see if that helps. How old is your machine? I have one and some days, it doesn't like anything; other days, it'd use rope if I could find a big enough needle. Mine is not a year old yet...and I don't FMQ on it because I have a long arm. But, from past experience, I'd say your speed has as much to do with the success as anything...good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Is the thread breaking from the top thread path or from the bottom? If it is breaking from the top, thread your machine to the last thread guide, by passing the needle. Leave a fairly long tail of thread at the last thread guide. Pull an additional foot or so of thread off the spool then cut it, holding on to the end. Take the other thread end at the thread guide in your other hand and gently move the thread through the machine, see if you feel it catch anywhere. You might have to pull the thread back and forth a time or two until you feel where it is catching.

If it is breaking from the bottom the first thing I would check is to see if your thread cutter is clogged with a stray piece of thread or fuzz. If your bobbin case is clean, and the thread cutter is OK then try another bobbin. Also check your stitch plate - they can crack at the feed dog slots and you won't see it, but believe me, a crack in the stitch plate will cause all manner of trouble. An 75/11 needle is still pretty small, can you bump it up to a 90/14 to see how it does?

I use Connecting Threads thread in my 6600, with no problem. I do have the special bobbin case, and it is well worth every penny. I got it from the dealer. In addition to what others have mentioned, I set the machine to Mode 2 - Pattern 11, set the foot pressure to "1", and set the speed to medium. I also use a Supreme Slider and gloves. I agree that you may be going too fast if the thread is breaking. Good luck and I hope you are able to resolve the issues. The 6600 is a wonderful machine.

I am sorry about the loss of your son. My heart goes out to you. I lost my son 6 years ago, and miss him everyday.

Blog Entries
    I only use topstitch needles. Has a longer hole so the thread slides through easily

Thanks Wanda, only someone who has lost a child can know how it feels. I am sorry for your loss. Most of the advice
    given here is moving too fast, so I am going to slow down. It seems to go okay for a while and then the thread breaks.
    So you all might be right.
    Thanks to all for their suggestions. You all are the best.

Mary

My husband just bought it for me in Feb. for my birthday.

Hi, I have had this machine for 9 years, you will not be disappointed with it as its Janomes work horse machine. First of all take out all the tread and re thread, if no joy with that change the needle, this machine really likes its own needles I found that out the hard way. Also if you ever have trouble with the feed dogs not working, just use the handwheel turn it back and forth, it will start to work again. I put mine in for repair thinking it was damaged two years ago only to find the man said it was fin, that got me thinking it must of me, it also happen this week but new how to fix the problem. This is a good machine stick with it as there is a leaning curb with any manchine. Ps sorry to hear about your son, my thoughts are with you x
    Gwen

if
    Quote Originally Posted by jessiesmom View Post
    Does anyone own one. I am having an awful time with thread breaking. I started a baby blanket last year and then my son passed away in November. I had not been in the mood to sew and my husband bought me this machine.
    I have a ton of thread from connecting thread and it worked fine on my other machine, but I am tryin to finish this quilt as the baby is now 5 months old, but my thread keeps breaking. I only have the border to quilt, and I am free motion meandering.

Any advice would be very appreciated, as to type of thread, weight and needle size that works well on this machine.
    I did not have a problem straight stitching.

Thanks for any help.

Mary

So very sorry for your loss.

Are you using the FMQ foot from Janome? If so, it has a screw you can turn to make it closer to the fabric. If there is too much space between it and the fabric, the thread will break.

Watson

I have that machine and love it but it only likes the Aurifil thread. Sometimes I have to rethread and yes, I do have a problem sometimes with the thread breaking but not too often. Good luck and I know it is so frustrating when you are trying to finish a project. So very sorry to hear the loss of your son. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I too had a persistent problem until I switched to topstitch needle and now it's all smooth sailing and meandering is my niche so every quilt is meandered in whole or in part. My machine is now 8 yrs old and still does everything perfectly.

Try switching to a 90/14 or even a 100/16 Topstitch needle.

also, if you are using the free motion foot that floats instead of hopping, it might help to use the thumb screw on the foot to lower it a little. That foot needs to skim the surface, or float just a tiny bit above it. If it's too far off the surface you will get problems with stitch formation and thread breakage.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s