Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory quilt - how to >

Memory quilt - how to

Memory quilt - how to

Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 PM

Default Memory quilt - how to

I am wanting to make a memory quilt for my son using photo's of him in his youth. Any one got any helpful hints on how to get the photo on the fabric - what is the best stuff to use? Or what not to use? Or any tutorials on how to? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Ginny
Old 12-17-2016, 04:26 AM

I have treated fabric with jet set and/or bubble set. After treating, I iron freezer paper to the fabric then using my rotary cutter, I cut to 8-1/2"x11" and run it through my printer. Another option I've used is to cut the fabric much larger after fusing it to freezer paper and brought it to Staples to run through their very large color printer. They can print several photos simultaneously onto the paper/fabric. You may need to "tell" your printer that you are using heavier than normal paper (I tell the printer it is cardstock). good luck.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

There are prepackaged fabric printer sheets available at stores like Joanne's, ( timeless treasures and June Taylor are two brands) use good quality ink in an ink jet printer and follow the instructions. Or you can create your own pages by using prepared for dyeing fabric (PFD) press freezer paper to it ( Not Waxed paper) cut out in printer paper size. Make sure the edges are pressed well- sometimes I use paper tape to secure the edges and again, using good ink run through the printer. There is also transfer sheets available at places like staples, office max.... those create decals like are on printed tshirts, or you can take your photos to a copy shop and have them print them for you ( some will, some won't) or use Spoonflower, which will create your photos into yardage ( or fat quarters)
Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 AM

I've done it both ways and it's easier and cheaper to buy the sheets ready to use, just be sure and read everything carefully before you buy, some can't be washed, some are dry clean only, some are white some are cream, lots of decisions to make.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:05 AM

When I attended a quilting expo one of the presenters gave a presentation on the cost of doing your own photos on fabric and having them done at Walgreens or other photo places. It was cheaper at Walgreens (30.00) for 6 or more photos placed on fabric that is permanent than all the problems she had using various products to do it herself. You may want to check this out. She provided her own fabric and told them how large the photos should be etc.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!

Ginny