Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • In memory quilt >
  • In memory quilt

• In memory quilt

Old 12-12-2016, 05:30 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    Default In memory quilt

A friend and I have offered to make a quilt in memory of a young boy who was tragically killed this passed summer. The child's grandmother wants it made as a gift for the mother. A picture will be included on the quilt and perhaps an applique of his favorite animal. Any one have any ideas as to patterns that would work? It is to be lap size.
    Thanks for any ideas, suggestion.
    Old 12-12-2016, 05:48 PM

It is always such a sad situation when a young person is lost in an accident. March of 2013 we lost my nephew and two other teenagers in a horrible accident.

I made memory quilts from Jacob's clothes and gifted them to my sister and her family. It was hard but I am glad that I was able to complete them

I think the pattern you choose is completely up to what you are given and what you feel would be best.

My nephews name is Jacob, so I did a modified Jacob's ladder quilt and fit in some of this tshirts. He loved hunting, horses and was a cadet in the fire department so I tried to fit those things in as well. I cut his jeans, shirts and jacket up into blocks. I made lap size quilts as well

Here are some pictures of mine. They are not quilting masterpieces, but I my sister truly loves them.. and perhaps seeing these help to get your inspiration started
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]563618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563619[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563620[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563621[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563622[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563625[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails jacobs-ladder-horse.jpg   running-horse-front.jpg   plaid-front.jpg   4-wheeler-front.jpg   jacobs-ladder-fire.jpg  

blue-front.jpg   stitch-time.jpg   label-poem.jpg  

Last edited by meyert; 12-12-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    Old 12-12-2016, 06:19 PM

I have made memorial quilts, too. I don't usually use a pattern. I just start cutting and sewing and adding things that the person liked to do or something that was special to them. It really helps with the healing.
    Old 12-12-2016, 06:25 PM

Memory quilts came out great, what a thoughtful thing to do.
    Old 12-12-2016, 07:49 PM
    Power Poster

such beautiful quilts. i've made 4" memory bears for lots of people, but never a quilt. Very nice work.
    Old 12-12-2016, 07:53 PM

I made one for my MIL after my FIL's passing--he was an engineer so used a Carpenter Square pattern for a lap quilt. I had a fleece jacket, 3 very similar color golf shirts, a pair of HI print swim trunks, and a Hiwaiian print shirt. Was a bit of a challenge!
    Right now I'm working on 3 memory lap quilts for a customer---all plaid, cowboy shirts and khaki Wrangler pants. She wants 3 different quilts so using a snowball on one; 2nd is alternating solid blocks with plaid rail fence blocks, and third is alternating solid and 16 patch plaid/solid blocks--2nd and 3rd with piano key borders using both the solid pants and the plaid shirts. Biggest concern is getting enough fabric out of the stuff she gave me to do 3 quilts.
    Old 12-13-2016, 05:30 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Thanks for posting those pictures. We know nothing of this family and the boys interests except he loved Dinosaurs so they want some applique if possible of dinosaurs!!! The grandmother may pick out fabric for it. I was thinking of a pattern that "showcases " large squares...perhaps Turning Twenty or BBQ something. Any help with finding patterns online?
    Thanks for any suggestions and pictures.