Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Memory Quilt

Memory Quilt

I am planning on making a memorial quilt using my brother's shirts and his line drawings. I need to make three of these quilts. My question is does anyone know where I can get these line drawings (sketches) digitized so I can machine embroider them. There is around 5 or 6 of these drawings that I wish to use in the quilt.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

You could send them to spoonflower.com. They do custom printing.

You could also buy those fabric sheets (8 1/2 X 11) that they have at Jo Ann's (and other places). It works just like copy paper. You could copy the line drawings to a file and print them on your home printer. I would try this first on a small package before purchasing a large amount (it's fairly expensive). I made some quilt labels with it and it was difficult to get a needle through. I didn't wash it before putting it on the quilt, and that might solve the problem. It was doable, but I would not want to embroider it. (I just blind stitched it to the back of the quilt, but I had to use a thimble to get the needle though the fabric.)

bkay

Kath12, you might want to try a place like Alphagraphics or Kinkos. They should be able to digitize the sketches.

Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    You could send them to spoonflower.com. They do custom printing.

You could also buy those fabric sheets (8 1/2 X 11) that they have at Jo Ann's (and other places). It works just like copy paper. You could copy the line drawings to a file and print them on your home printer. I would try this first on a small package before purchasing a large amount (it's fairly expensive). I made some quilt labels with it and it was difficult to get a needle through. I didn't wash it before putting it on the quilt, and that might solve the problem. It was doable, but I would not want to embroider it. (I just blind stitched it to the back of the quilt, but I had to use a thimble to get the needle though the fabric.)

bkay
    Oops! I missed one word - "machine" embroider. I'm sorry. I know nothing about what you are doing.

Good luck. I hope someone can answer your question.

bkay

You might check at the store where you bought your machine. They may have people (or know someone) who would digitize the drawings for you in the format that you need for your machine.
    Patrice S

Check out Apex Embroidery Designs. Their website says they do custom embroidery designs. They have sales and discounts regularly.

Blog Entries
    If you want to digitize and embroider yourself, I'm clueless. I took a picture to a local embroidery shop and they digitized and embroidered it in the colors I selected. Digitizing can be pricey, so if you have multiple embroidery companies nearby, ask about the cost of digitizing.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Would you like to try digitizing them yourself? There are several good free design digitizers on the web.
    I have this one, and it is pretty user-friendly:
    https://www.wilcom.com/en-us/product...rproducts.aspx

here's another- (don't know much about this one):
    http://sophiesew.com/SS2/index.php

here's a youtube version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0VODhYvq3s

Google has others.....
    good luck!