Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory Quilts from Clothing >

Memory Quilts from Clothing

Memory Quilts from Clothing

Old 08-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Default Memory Quilts from Clothing

A friend asked me to make two quilts from her son's clothing. He was killed in a wreck just over a year ago. I know there are several different ways to do these quilts, but would like to see yours. Please show pictures of your memory quilts made from clothing. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
A friend asked me to make two quilts from her son's clothing. He was killed in a wreck just over a year ago. I know there are several different ways to do these quilts, but would like to see yours. Please show pictures of your memory quilts made from clothing. Thank you!
I tried to upload a pdf file pic but it said it was invalid so I don't know what I'm doing, obviously! Sorry. Anyway, I was asked to make my first great-grandson's baby quilt with family clothing and because of all the different fabrics it was a bit difficult but got it done! I used a brick pattern in various lengths using shirts from mom, dad, auntie, grandma, grandpa, great-grandma, and great-grandpa...I had cottons, flannels, lightweight and medium weight denims. I had some issues with the rows becoming uneven and "bending" but after ripping out a few rows, I managed to get it straightened out. Vowed to never again used mixed fabrics to make a quilt!!! Good luck with yours and if anyone can help me learn how to upload photos, I would be grateful!
Old 08-22-2020, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for your answer.

To upload your pictures, first shrink them down to small size. Then click on "Go Advanced" under the typing field, and a paperclip should appear next to the smiley face in the toolbar (above). Click on the paperclip. It's for attaching photos, but they have to be small first. Just follow the prompts from there. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2020, 04:11 PM

I've used my step-dad's jeans and cowboy shirts to make a Denim Stars quilt. Some of the shirts were a little thin, but they are protected with the denim wrapped around them. Can't find a picture of the finished quilt, but you can see how it's made. You sew octagons of denim together in 9-patches. Then put squares of batting and the shirt squares under the pointed flaps. Then fold the flaps down and finish the raw edges with zig-zag stitch. The back of the quilt is denim squares.

You can do the same with squares or brick shapes -- Brick Work or Windows Denim Quilt pattern
Attached Thumbnails barbaras-quilt-nov-2016.jpg   brickandwindowssmall.jpg  
Old 08-22-2020, 07:14 PM

I did the Ohio star in various fabrics from my Mother-in-law and ties from my Father-in-law. I made 3,6 and 9" stars depending on the size of the fabric pieces and then assembled them..
Old 08-22-2020, 08:41 PM

I am currently working on 3 throw-sized quilts from a friend’s mom’s clothing. The friend grouped the fabrics she wanted used together but left the patterns to me. For the green and peach quilts, I sewed strips onto muslin foundations. The blue/purple fabrics required stabilizing 7 of the 9 fabrics with iron-on interfacing. Word to the wise -NEVER accept fabrics with glitter on them for quilt-making! My sewing studio is awash in glitter.
Attached Thumbnails 26d58bc9-aad1-4b55-ae81-b884f1478b30.jpeg   46214e93-9b4b-48f3-a384-c259fa3b1619.jpeg   7512f195-bbc5-49d2-811b-b0580f98aba4.jpeg  
Old 08-23-2020, 03:15 AM

Thanks for your answer.

To upload your pictures, first shrink them down to small size. Then click on "Go Advanced" under the typing field, and a paperclip should appear next to the smiley face in the toolbar (above). Click on the paperclip. It's for attaching photos, but they have to be small first. Just follow the prompts from there. Good luck!

Thank you...it's the shrinking down I can't figure out, though. When I was on the HGTV Message Board (I miss that board!), I used Paint to resize pics on my PC, but now I have a Chromebook and everything is different.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarcieStone View Post
Thank you...it's the shrinking down I can't figure out, though. When I was on the HGTV Message Board (I miss that board!), I used Paint to resize pics on my PC, but now I have a Chromebook and everything is different.
Try looking up "Reducing photo size on Chromebook", online. There has got to be a way!

Old 08-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the photos. Those are lovely examples. I'm hoping to find something simpler, as she wants two of these done in time for Christmas.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:31 AM

Try looking up "Reducing photo size on Chromebook", online. There has got to be a way!
I did that and downloaded an app but it didn't work. I'm going to try a few other things...as you said, there has got to be a way! Thanks!!!