Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
memory quilts >

memory quilts

memory quilts

Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 AM

I am working on lap size and wall hanging size memory quilts for my dad's grands and great grands. Dad passed July 2010. He was 82. I'm using a picture of him, plus fabrics that remind me of him...almost like an i spy. I'm really excited and missing him so much. Daddy was an old time carpenter that did everything in building houses and built many. He also tinkered with clocks and made several and redesigned many. He made furniture...beds, tables, chairs, china hutches...he was just an all around gifted wood crafter. After becoming disabled due to an auto accident he started building miniture covered bridges and houses. He loved to sit in his rocking chair on the porch and just admire nature. In his final years...he had alzheimers and slowly lost his skills. He became as a little child that we all loved dearly.
There are some fabric designs I still need. If you know where I can find fabrics with the following:
such as clocks, covered bridges, carpenter, birds, etc
Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Sounds like a great project. My Dad died last August and we all miss him so much, he was 82, also. I cannot help with your fabric quest but I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Google Goddess

Hugs Hugs, you have lots of nice memories with your dad, the memory quilt will be awesome

I am surfing for you to find some fabrics

Covered Bridge Fabrics

1. http://www.quiltknit.com/RK7180-200-...cs_p_7563.html

Clock Fabrics

1. http://allegrofabrics.com/item_2583/...llow-37-12.htm

Bird Fabrics

http://www.interiormall.com/cat/ndis...&orderby=Price

Carpenter Fabrics:

http://www.nancysfabrics.com/product...-cotton-fabric
Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks. I will be a little slow, but will post with my progress.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Maybe start a ad in Classifieds? Do you just need small amounts of all of these fabrics? :D:D:D
Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Here is an idea for ya..... I make a LOT of memory quilts. What I do is machine embroidery different blocks to represent a particular memory, then arrange them into a decent size quilt for the person I am making it for. My latest one was for the school secretary, so the teachers gave me a list of everything she did, liked and family names. It really turned out great.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1234Irene
Here is an idea for ya..... I make a LOT of memory quilts. What I do is machine embroidery different blocks to represent a particular memory, then arrange them into a decent size quilt for the person I am making it for. My latest one was for the school secretary, so the teachers gave me a list of everything she did, liked and family names. It really turned out great.
Can you share a photo with us, would really love to see how you did it. I use embroidery on my quilts also, but so far, just using outline stitches for the quilting. Your idea sounds great! :wink:
Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 AM

I've made memory quilts using only the deceased's shirts.
Two were for sisters - they had a good time remembering 'this' shirt & 'that' shirt.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 AM

I would love to see it when you finish it
Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Originally Posted by 1234Irene
Can you share a photo with us, would really love to see how you did it. I use embroidery on my quilts also, but so far, just using outline stitches for the quilting. Your idea sounds great! :wink:
Sure, keep in mind that this was a school secretary, and the school colors were dark blue and white. She did nails on the side, raised white pigs, was the recess "watcher", husband farmed, played the Chello, collected M&M's........you get the general idea....

If you decide to go this way, pm me and I'll see if I can come up with some ideas for the embroidered blocks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219457.jpe   attachment-219458.jpe