Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Men can be so funny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmonohon
    I went to a doctor appointment today. And this grumpy old man made me laugh. I was in the waiting area and an older lady with an appliqued bag that was beautiful, so I asked "did you make the bag?" She replied, "no. But I quilt." A gentleman sitting a few chairs away from us says very loudly, "Oh God, I am so glad my wife is not here (he was very distressed and shaking his head.) So we giggled and continue our conversation about fabric and quilting. He continues to mumble at us the entire time about how we never use our fabric and we just buy and buy and keep it in the way. The lady and I just laughed.

My dh was with me and was quiet the whole time but when we got to the car he said "I'm glad you use your fabric". LOL if he only knew exactly how much I had, I am unsure if he would have said that.

Men can be so funny when they don't understand our obsession with quilting. But what about the men that collect tools that never get used or fishing gear or hunting gear or what ever hobby they have.
    Or men who buy tools, use them, misplace them and buy the same tool again!!! UGH!!! I know where my fabric is, I know where my rotary cutter is, I know where all my tools are...now they may be in another drawer beside another machine but I have it! Hmmm.....maybe I should go and buy a few more of the SAME tool so I can have one beside EVERY machine! Uhhh, guess I do have some of the same habits, huh??? :lol: :oops: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Randa
    I went to a doctor appointment today. And this grumpy old man made me laugh. I was in the waiting area and an older lady with an appliqued bag that was beautiful, so I asked "did you make the bag?" She replied, "no. But I quilt." A gentleman sitting a few chairs away from us says very loudly, "Oh God, I am so glad my wife is not here (he was very distressed and shaking his head.) So we giggled and continue our conversation about fabric and quilting. He continues to mumble at us the entire time about how we never use our fabric and we just buy and buy and keep it in the way. The lady and I just laughed.

My dh was with me and was quiet the whole time but when we got to the car he said "I'm glad you use your fabric". LOL if he only knew exactly how much I had, I am unsure if he would have said that.

Men can be so funny when they don't understand our obsession with quilting. But what about the men that collect tools that never get used or fishing gear or hunting gear or what ever hobby they have.
    Or men who buy tools, use them, misplace them and buy the same tool again!!! UGH!!! I know where my fabric is, I know where my rotary cutter is, I know where all my tools are...now they may be in another drawer beside another machine but I have it! Hmmm.....maybe I should go and buy a few more of the SAME tool so I can have one beside EVERY machine! Uhhh, guess I do have some of the same habits, huh??? :lol: :oops: :lol:
    I like your thoughts. My husband also has many duplicates and triples, because he is not organized. Or leaves a tool at one of the kids houses. Can't find it -buy a new one. I noticed he now has at least 5 cordless drills. They seem to find their way home. --- Yes, next time I see tools I have I will remember the other machines they can be sitting with.

I only WISH my husband would find a hobby! ANYTHING to get him out of the house once in awhile so I could sew more! I have to "budget" my sewing time, or he complains that's all I do. At least I have something to show for my time--all his time in front of the TV doesn't produce anything!

This is a hilarious story and so very true.

Wish we had basements but in VA Beach that is a no-no. So I am squashed into a corner of the office! Which means no room for much of a stash. :(

I have to laugh cause my DH is the packrat of our family (he says I am). He is good about the fabric and quilt show stuff cause he wants one right now (which I'm working on). We'll see what is what when I'm done. :D

Great story and you hit it on the head. Our fabric is a man's tools.

I'm new here and see DH in some of your comments.
    What does DH mean and where can I find one.

Kathy

My husband use to say, "Just what we need, more STUFF."
    He found out I didn't think that was to funny, so now he keeps his remarks to himself. Except one time when I had car trouble and he had to come rescue me. He opened the trunk of the car and said "OMG!" :shock:
    but that was all he said (outloud), anyway.
    Men never get it :thumbdown:

DH means, dear husband.

Blog Entries
    My hubby never says anything about my sewing or crafting. He keeps every screw and nut he has ever seen for the last 30 years and he know I think outside the box when it comes to projects for the grandkids so he always asks me before he throws away anything he thinks I might use. lol

Every time I make a big purchase, I always say, "it is cheaper than the boat" and no one says anything. The boat takes up a lot of space as well and it is a LOT harder to store.
    A famous saying for boaters, "A boat is a hole in the water into which we pour money" Can't say that about fabric -- and quiilting is a lot warmer.

Blog Entries
    I was wondering what the ole guy had out in his shed that he hadn't used in years! Quite a bit I'd bet. Or maybe I would have asked him how quilts she had made & he had slept under! They(some) don't realize what we do do with our spare time. Now my DH, he watches every part of my quilting & just as soon as I finish that last stitch on the binding he will say "That one is mine too" He has claimed all of them!

Speaking of men saving every bolt and screw. My husband has 5 gallon buckets full of that kind of stuff. He can fix anything and I am so grateful for that. His hobbies are restoring antique cars, repairing stringed instruments, repairing pocket watches and clocks, collecting coins, etc. I have a couple of hobbies myself, sewing, quilting, crocheting, knitting. He doesn't say much when I buy more but thinks I should be able to cram 3 rooms full of sewing/hobby stuff into one small bedroom in the new smaller house, or I need to get rid of it. Not going to happen!

At least your dh's know how to use most of the tools that they have. I am still trying to train my dh the difference between a flathead screwdriver and a Philips. He is not mechanically inclined at all.

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    LOL my DH only knows about the fabric that comes in the mail when he's home. I so try to order so it comes on the days he works. He works different days, different weeks, so it makes it a little harder. But he doesn't say anything about what he sees, but then again, he doesn't understand how I love doing this so much. To him it's a waste of time. Maybe if I did one with all golf material, applique of golf clubs and balls, he might understand. That's on my list, but way down. LOL
    What if you appliqued/embroidered him some golf towels? I did that for a few of our local minor league hockey players and my ex-husband asked me to make some for him. After I did he began to appreciate my hobby

LOL At least he appreciates the things you do make with your fabric!!!

Blog Entries
    My husband didn't know how much I even had. I had it stashed all over the house. Then we built a sewing room on this summer. He went OH MY GOD do you really need all this stuff. Yes I do. Little did he know I had even more in the closet.

How about the ones who tell you they don't understand why you would take a perfectly good piece of material and cut it up only so you can sew it back together again...?

My Hubby does not say anything about my quilting stuff,and he better not,he has tools of all kinds,saddles(and everything else horse related),guitars,trucks and our son who still lives at home is just as bad plus guns and other hunting stuff and oh yea dirt bikes and 4-wheelers.So I think I'm in the clear. :thumbup: :D :D

LOL! Cute!

Blog Entries
    I did not have much of a stash until I started with with this forum. In the last month, I have spent over $300 on fabric, with no particular pattern or project in mind. I am just trying to keep up with you all.

Women/quilters are the first to hide what they actually have (is that why they call it a stash?) and the first to point out what men have. Not that I am pointing fingers or taking sides, we all have our faults.

Just remember the rule: The one who dies with the most stash/toys wins!

Have fun collecting, you never know when you might use that.

Dee
    My DH never says a word. Even helps get more fabric for me. He did say-you don't really need any more sew machines. I know he is right, but I said-but every machine does something special. He just grins.

My stashis in the bedroom, living room, laundry room, kitchen, spare bedroom and anywhere else that his tools are not. When we go to a fabric shop he is almost worse than i am. The last time we went shopping togeather i went in to get just 2 yards for a back and came out with over 20 yards thanks to my dh looking around and finding things he liked I feel very blessed

Jim
    I have tools and a fabric stash...lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast