Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Men Quilting

Blog Entries
    I forgot to mention I used to work at a LQS and there was a man who there worked part time who did LAQ. His work was gorgeous. He was originally from Colorado and made the prettiest southwestern quilts too.

My husband is my Quality Control person.. he cuts off all the threads and checks all my seams etc... He is great on picking out colors and telling me what works and what does not work.. He is a computer analyst and he can do math in his head so whenever I need help figuring out how much yardage or whatever he is there for me... Also he knows what a fat quarter is and loves going to quilt shows and quilt shops!!
    Keep on quilting and quilt something for charity lap robes for vets or our soldiers ... enjoy your longarm..
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama

My husband DOESN'T quilt...but he faithfully sleeps under the ones I create every night...and that's saying a whole lot!!!

I love men who quilt...my paternal grandfather was a tailor...back in the good ol' days when men's "ready wear" was not available. He was so very good at his job that even after the advent of the "ready's", he had a thriving business until the day he passed on. I have so many fond memories of going to the tailor shop and sitting up on the high tables while he worked...and those huge scissors!! and all that wonderful wool!!

Sorry...I got off topic here...but it spurred some very pleasant memories!! Just had to share.......

Blog Entries
    My Wife Made Me! ROTFLMBO!!! Love the pic to go with your name! Is your wife on the board, too?

Blog Entries
    My husband does all my quilting for me. I was going to quit making quilts because it is so expensive to have it done, for me at least. So we bought a pre owned frame and a brother quilting machine and he learned to quilt.We do not have a long arm but he enjoys it a lot. I think if you would go price what it would cost to have one quilted it would make you more willing to learn to do it yourself, and also give you great satisfaction of a job well done. There are many men quilters.Good Luck
    Pickle

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle
    My husband does all my quilting for me. I was going to quit making quilts because it is so expensive to have it done, for me at least. So we bought a pre owned frame and a brother quilting machine and he learned to quilt.We do not have a long arm but he enjoys it a lot. I think if you would go price what it would cost to have one quilted it would make you more willing to learn to do it yourself, and also give you great satisfaction of a job well done. There are many men quilters.Good Luck
    Pickle
    First, I would like to ask where did you get the nickname Pickle, that was mine all through grade scholl, rhymed so nice with Nickel and I love dill pickles. LOL
    What president made a quilt? I will look it up. Using a LGA is working with machinery and the process similar to using a lathe or grinder in a machine shop and taking care of it a lot like keeping your car running. When you see the results of your work and get paid for it, you will like it even better. My DH repairs all my machines but so far hasn't done any sewing.
    Good luck and make a name for yourself.
    Many quilts at Paducah are made my men and win prizes.

Carol J.

Blog Entries
    My husband loved to go and help me pick up fabric, one day when I came home from work he was sitting at my machine and sewing up a storm, he did some pretty awesome quilts.

Thanks for the inspiration and good thoughts. By the way, my name is Bill and many of you may know my wife from the board here. Her name is "QuiltingGrannie". You can find her on here most days or stop by and visit us,,, even if only online @ www.quilterspantry.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
    Thanks for the inspiration and good thoughts. By the way, my name is Bill and many of you may know my wife from the board here. Her name is "QuiltingGrannie". You can find her on here most days or stop by and visit us,,, even if only online @ www.quilterspantry.com
    Oh yes! I've seen her posts. Thanks, and I checked out your website. You all do wonderful quilting!

The quilt shop I work at the husband does all of the longarm quilting. His wife makes the quilts.

Banned
    Not all men Long Arm quilt. Lots of us do it with a "regular" machine. There is a Yahoo group for men who quilt as well as another titled Manquilters. There is even a group in NYC in the theatre group of which most are men and some quilt backstage during the shows. So, look for us, we are out there. We even have fabric exchanges, block exchanges and an annual Retreat in the North East. This year will be near Albany NY

Have sent quilts off to a l/a er and he's a man. Does a really good job and is nice to talk to.

How many men on here quilt? Husbands? We have a long arm and am having trouble getting enthused. Any ideas???
    I think when you say you're having trouble getting enthused, it concerns me. Why are you trying to quilt? Income? Because you purchased a longarm and need to make it 'pay'? I have a set of golf clubs, but can't seem to get enthused, and would be very upset if if felt I HAD to do it. Do something you ARE enthused about!

Blog Entries
    I go the name Pickle from my older sisters. As a child I loved pickles and they used to call me their sweet little pickle. As the years went by they changed it to just Pickle ( I wonder why that was?) LOL
    Then as I got even older they just finally just narrowed it down to PIC
    Pickle

How many men on here quilt? Husbands? We have a long arm and am having trouble getting enthused. Any ideas???
    Bill, if I may...

Realizing that from time to time it may be difficult to become enthused about quilting, I would point out that as a man, you have the priviledge - perhaps even the obligation to contribute to a centuries old tradition of men building quilts. Historically speaking, men were quilting before women, were doing it professionally in Europe, and brought it with them to the New World. So you see Mr. Bill, you must stand - enthusiastically - and claim your heritage for your brothers past and yet to come, and help those today who do not yet realize their vital role in the history that is being made right now.

Now, go, my friend, and quilt something!

My wife got me into quilting a few months back, and I really enjoy it, especially on rainy cool days when I can't get outside.

So far I have completed 4 lap quilts.

A few weeks ago I was between projects and wanted to do something small and quick, so I decided to do an embroidered dog mat. Now I have a little problem, 2 dogs and they both like the mat.

Going to have to make another.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a quilter of the male persuasion. I do all my work on a domestic sewing machine (and featherweight). I long to own a long arm, but it will forever be out of my price range. I'm mostly a traditional quilter and sometimes I do applique. Great to have another man on here. Inspiration abounds. Welcome to the board.

I read an article about a retired engineer that started quilting and long arming. I believe his blog is called manquilter.com

There's also "michael" on this board.

My husband helped me applique our first quilt and did a better job than I but I haven't been able to get him to quilt anymore;
    I couldn't help but show my fellow quilters his work ( I was so proud of what he did) I think I scared him off from quilting. Ithink it is wonderful our men want to quilt with us. after all some men are making a living out of quilting, john flynn is the one that comes to mind. Ihave purchased some of his templated and they are very good.
    keep up the quilting GUYS

D. swindle

Blog Entries
    My DH and I both quilt..sometimes together, sometimes just him or me. It can get a little crowded in our sewing room when we are both in there!! :P :P

His board name is Papa John, but he doesn't get on here too often.

Welcome!!

Blog Entries
    Check out http://www.rockreefquilting.com/ He surfs and he quilts! I quilted one of my quilts that was too big for my standard machine - he is great!

My husband doesn't quilt, but he is my "seam-ripper" and loves to do it!! Aren't I lucky???

Quote Originally Posted by Becka
    Bill, if I may...

Realizing that from time to time it may be difficult to become enthused about quilting, I would point out that as a man, you have the priviledge - perhaps even the obligation to contribute to a centuries old tradition of men building quilts. Historically speaking, men were quilting before women, were doing it professionally in Europe, and brought it with them to the New World. So you see Mr. Bill, you must stand - enthusiastically - and claim your heritage for your brothers past and yet to come, and help those today who do not yet realize their vital role in the history that is being made right now.

Now, go, my friend, and quilt something!
    That's hilarious!! Thanks!

Well, I will say I appreciate all the comments and good thoughts. Thanks to all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast