Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mended Home Decor Is Now a Thing >

Mended Home Decor Is Now a Thing

Mended Home Decor Is Now a Thing

Old 04-24-2023, 07:24 AM

Default Mended Home Decor Is Now a Thing

I'm in the middle of recovering furniture, making bench cushions and designing throw pillows this year. I have the cutest little dog that loves to chew on my beautiful, new pillows, (gggrrrrrrrrrr,) so now I'm trying to find clever ways to mend them. I've been reading about how patchwork and intentional mending is becoming a trend now. Thank goodness for that!
https://www.remodelista.com/posts/ho...g-trend-alert/

Some of my ideas to cover up the holes are:
-put a bird on it
-sunburst
-plain square(s)
- colorful corners
-flower power

Any other suggestions?

~ C

Last edited by tropit; 04-24-2023 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:41 AM

Spray the cushions with something orange scented. Dogs don't seem to like it. And get more dog chew toys.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:45 AM

Good tip! Thanks GingerK!
Old 04-24-2023, 10:02 AM

and my Granddtr asked me why i put a blanket over the sofa at night! cats!!! don't like hair on the sofa nor throw up.
have fun!
Old 04-24-2023, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Pet proofing a home is to have a minimalist decorating style. Actually this works with kids too. My daughter is a minimalist in decorating. Her house looks like a magazine spread everyday. She has two dogs and two young boys. Even the boy's toys look like decoration when left out. It's amazing how less looks so nice. No throw pillows in her house. I thought she was nuts at first but it's calming to go to her home.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:28 PM

I've been looking into making a Kawandi / Siddi style quilt...I think the concept could apply. looks a little like pretty fabric patches sewn on using big stitches.
actually, once I went hunting for a link for images...boro stitching is probably more what I was thinking in terms of patching something up.
Boro Stitching / Visible Mending
Old 04-25-2023, 03:19 AM

I am a minimalist, no throw pillows, nothing but a lamp on end tables. No quilts on sofa or chairs, nothing laying around. Everything has a place and is put away at bedtime. When I had a pet it was trained to sleep on his blanket so it made it easy to clean up. It's amazing how easy it is to keep things clean and how fast it is to clean house. My husband is also very tidy so no problems with his stuff all over the place either.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

tropit- when I was first married we had an apartment that was the top floor of a home. We hung out coats downstairs near the front door. Well I had a long wool coat that I didn't wear much but liked. I didn't realize but my cat used that coat as a scratching post! I went to put it on one day and there was a huge mess in one spot. I sewed an applique over it and wore it for quite awhile. LOL And of course I moved the coat~!
Old 04-25-2023, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by naominjeri View Post
I've been looking into making a Kawandi / Siddi style quilt...I think the concept could apply. looks a little like pretty fabric patches sewn on using big stitches.
actually, once I went hunting for a link for images...boro stitching is probably more what I was thinking in terms of patching something up.
Boro Stitching / Visible Mending
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! I'm seeing more and more of that look online and I think that it would look good in my cabin. I'm going to try it on a faded blue canvas pillow that my little "Jelly Bean" chewed a hole in. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2023, 10:49 AM

Here's another article about "Visible Mending"
https://www.bhg.com/decorating/do-it...ending-basics/

I love the pillow case idea. My pillow cases seem to get holes in them frequently.