Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
men's shirts in a quilt >

men's shirts in a quilt

men's shirts in a quilt

Old 10-27-2018, 04:19 AM

Default men's shirts in a quilt

I was asked to make a memorial quilt from some men's shirts. These are just your standard men's shirts.

I wasn't going to interface these.... is that ok?

I just wanted to check before I started

What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2018, 04:39 AM

Interface! I made a memory quilt and was amazed at the difference between the shirts which were all 100% cotton.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:44 AM

Are they dress shirts or tshirts? I've worked with dress shirts and they make a nice cozy quilt--already softened up by numerous washings.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

​Do whatever makes them easier to sew. Knit shirts can be tricky if they are not interfaced but cotton shirts are fine without.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

If they are similar in weight to "ordinary woven quilting cotton fabric"- then I would use them as is.

If the shirts look very worn/thin - and you need to scrounge for every last bit of material - then I would use a thin fusible interfacing on those fabrics. I would also give the shirts a bit of a "yank test" to see how durable the fabrics still are.

I don't know what condition these shirts are in. Some "old/worn" shirts still have usable parts on the parts that are below chest level.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
These are just your standard men's shirts.
What kind of "standard" men's shirts? T-shirts? Polos? Button-down dress shirts?

I would say if they're stretchy like t-shirts, you need to interface them. If they're cotton button-down shirts, you don't need to interface them.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 PM

thanks everyone for your thoughts. These are just button down cotton like shirts. I know that interfacing does make a difference and will make the fabric feel nice... I am just trying to safe some $$ and time
Old 10-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Gay

Think I would starch them, just to give body and to cut and handle better.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:38 AM

I've made several projects from shirts such as you mention. No interfacing. The only shirt I've had trouble with had a lot of rayon in it and it frays terribly. I loved the color so was simply careful when I handled that one until I could get it worked into the foundation and went with it. Most of what I've done are wall hangings so will not be "put to the test" but I made a queen size quilt for my own bed and so far, even with use, it's all together! If you are working with knit shirts, you may need the interfacing but my experience with traditional shirts--go for it. (You are going to be amazed at how much fabric those shirts provide!)

I probably should mention that not all of the shirts I used are 100% cotton. Many of them were a blend. No problem--just that one that had a lot of rayon in it.

Last edited by illinois; 10-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I was asked to make a memorial quilt from some men's shirts. These are just your standard men's shirts.

I wasn't going to interface these.... is that ok?

I just wanted to check before I started

What do you guys think?
Have you read Bonnie Hunter's books on "Shirt tails", there are at least two books. Her system for cutting them into usable parts is referred to as "deboning" and has been featured in several quilting magazines. I am not a fan of interfacing unless it is something like "Mistyfuse", otherwise those sections feel like they are backed by metal.
I've been stockpiling men's long sleeved shirts in the largest sizes I can find in a local thrift store. Soon I must start deboning them. Most of the shirts I bought were in plaids or tropical prints.