Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Messed up, need new design >

Messed up, need new design

Messed up, need new design

Old 07-07-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Messed up, need new design

Hello----Well I have messed up on my most recent QAYG quilt for donation. I designed it on paper to be reversible. The quilt uses Pattern Poole cover strips. SO I designed it to be 5 x 7 blocks (12 in finished). The fabric is all donated to me, and I promised to pass along the finished quilts to either Project Linus or directly to our local Foster Care. So I get the blocks all laid out, take pictures of the front pattern for reference, create a backing grid that makes it reversible, shaded in the back pattern and away I went. 35 blocks made, cut out batting, cut out backing, began the quilting process. Problem is that I switched the backing fabric around. The pattern for the back was as follows: x ccc x
c xxx c
c xxx c etc ending with repeat of row 1
But I switched the fabric for the x and c and now I don't have enough of the now x fabric to finish the backing pattern. I am lacking 2 x squares worth of fabric--again this was donated fabric and the lady said that she had had it for awhile so I really don't want to go through the effort of locating it--I'm sure the dye lots would be off. SO.... now what. I have some pictures of options--one idea would be to make the center row the same as row 1 and 7, or do the center row 4 as---- c c x c c---or I could just remove a row and make it 5 x 6 blocks. Just upset at myself, and that I didn't notice until I had 3 rows completed and attached to each other. Ideas?

ok well--pics won't upload again--yes I know how to upload--said token issue).
Old 07-07-2021, 11:58 AM

Very hard for me to visualize.

Part of the problem is that this is quilted as you go? So it isn't so easy just to put in other pieces in other places.

If you are only out two squares, I'd suggest putting in something entirely different, like a related solid in both places, Basically the color of whatever should have been there. You can use one for the typical Linus label your group uses, and maybe a second message/quilt name or something in the other.

Likewise, if you have any of the fabrics left but just too small you can frame those pieces, or maybe a simple shape or applique related to the pattern on the front.

All is not yet lost. Sure, some solutions are more or less ideal.

Figuring out the pictures issues here are tough for many people as well. Wish I could help more than my problem is with file size and I reduce here -- it doesn't address the token issue so I can't fool around with potential fixes.
https://www.reduceimages.com/
Old 07-07-2021, 12:27 PM

Ok so I re-scaled again--here is the back 3 rows. The pink is what I am short on. What appears white is actually a white background with light lavender polk a dots on it. These 3 rows are finished so no going back. Row 1 and 7 should have matched and rows 2-6 would be what is pictured for rows 2 and 3.
Attached Thumbnails image_67200001.jpg  
Old 07-07-2021, 12:34 PM

Here is the front (I am not really a purple or lavender person, but there was all of this fabric and it went well together).

I laid out 2 options that I could think of to "fix" my backing issue.
Attached Thumbnails image_67159297-1-.jpg   image_67185665.jpg   image_67171841-1-.jpg  
Old 07-07-2021, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I would use the first pink one (middle). I like that best.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:44 PM

I like the first "fix" the best....but either one would work! The purple front is really cute.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:00 PM

I like the second fix better. but either will work. it will be lovely in the end!
Old 07-08-2021, 05:47 AM

I like the first fix better. I believe you will be pretty happy with this one over the other one.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:08 AM

First off, good for you for figuring out your picture issues, hope the fix works! So many people having problems, I know it took me months under the old format to figure out my combination of browser/system protections/old camera. Even with screenshots posted, my screen didn't look like that. With the new forums, while harder for others was easier for me.

The picture isn't at all what I was seeing in my head, it helps so much. I rather like the I shaped/first picture but the other solution works too.

It's so hard on us when our visions of what we want and then what we get don't exactly mesh... I understand completely, and it only makes it worse (for me anyway) when it was a "preventable" mistake, but that's why they are accidents, sometimes things happen.

For someone getting the quilt they didn't see your vision, they know that there are two sides, one is fancier than the other, but both are fine whatever you decide to do.

And as someone who donates fabric, I can say that I am just happy to see any of it used, I am not counting the inches
Old 07-08-2021, 06:54 AM

As another thought, if you haven't gotten the rows put together yet, would be to put the row with the three pinks together with the other rows of three pinks and then have the bottom row, the corner block the pink block, then the 3 white? blocks, and then the last corner block being a different matching fabric, maybe a purple/lavender that you can use as where you sign your quilt.