Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Messenger Bag Question >

Messenger Bag Question

Messenger Bag Question

Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Default Messenger Bag Question

I'm looking to make a messenger bag/purse for an upcoming trip. My requirements are that it's approx. 14" wide give or take, that it has a longer strap so it can be a cross-body bag, and I would like an interior pocket and a top that zips, but I can work around that (or maybe add one in). I should note that I have seen and like the Professional Tote but that's not quite what I'm looking for at the moment.

I like this one from JoAnn's: http://www.joann.com/patch-flap-mess...1=true&start=8 and I will probably be using Tim Holtz fabric as well. Though it doesn't seem to have any zippered pockets and I think the outside flap closes by weight of the flap only rather than a snap or something. Has anyone made this one? I have made a small messenger bag and small zippered bag before but without more pictures I don't see this one working for me. I was hoping someone out there did a sew-along, but I haven't found anything.

I did also grab this one off of Craftsy, just wish the front flap was a bit longer: http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewin...nedy-bag/98622

I'm still so new to this I'm lucky I can follow the pattern, much less alter it!

I guess I'm asking if anyone has made that JoAnn's pattern or if you know of a similar tutorial that has more pictures and/or video. I really like the vintage industrial look it has because it goes with the Tim Holtz fabric. I've looked at a lot of sites including Google and haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 PM

Why not attach some velcro inside the flap to secure it, if you are not sure about adding a zipped pocket again why not use velcro either at the top of your pocket or add a flap to cover the pocket inside. Allfreesewing have some great bag patterns you can download and also easy to follow tutes on adding zippered inside pickets, post a pic of you bag when you finish, I'm sure it will be beautiful and unique x.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Reading the review of the JAF bag, someone made it and used those magnetic snaps to make it a close-able bag.
But I really like the Craftsy one, I added it to my shopping cart.
Good luck whatever you decide to do
Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 PM

This is a great bag with good instructions. I've made several and was able to teach it to my quilt group.http://pinoyinoz.blogspot.com/2008/0...p-top.html?m=1
Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 AM

Thanks everyone, I will look into adding velcro and/or a snap or magnetic closure. Pat, that's a nice pattern - might end up doing that one!