Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
metallic fabric for quilts >

metallic fabric for quilts

metallic fabric for quilts

Old 11-14-2014, 03:58 PM

Default metallic fabric for quilts

Equilter has some beautiful fabric, called Dynasty, leaves with gold metalic edges and wondering if some of the sparkly fabrics work in quilts. The hard part would be all the pressing but how would they look, wear and wash?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:02 PM

I love the sparkly metalic fabrics and use them often. Never had a problem with wear or wash. The only thing I do is iron them on the back. When you iron them from the front it kind of smells.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:02 PM

I LOVE the gold guilded fabrics! I did have a bath robe with gold guilding that wore off after many washings. Not sure how it would hold up on quilts. Can't get my hands on the stuff locally. I have saved up enough to make a very special quilt, but haven't been able to get to it yet. There's also Michael Miller's Fairy Frost that I know doesn't wear off. I LOVE that stuff, too!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 PM

This topic is just in time - I went absolutely nuts at JoAnn's today - I used the 25% off of everything coupon and all of their Quilter's Cotton was already 30% off. Loaded up my cart with bolts and then found more at the cutting table. Lots had sparkles and gold "leaf" on them.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:40 PM

I am ADDICTED to fabric with gold in it. I just can't help myself when I see it I have to buy it. Especially if it has good rich colors to it.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Do you have a pattern in mind for all of your "pretties"??? I think I might try Hole in the Wall Quilt by Eleanor Burns

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I am ADDICTED to fabric with gold in it. I just can't help myself when I see it I have to buy it. Especially if it has good rich colors to it.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:07 PM

I have made LOTS of quilted items from metallic quilt fabric. A good portion of my stash is just metallic. Proceed with confidence.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:24 AM

I love metallics, too, especially oriental fabrics! I iron them from the back as well, and turn the temperature on the iron down a bit. The fabric seems kind of sticky if the iron is too warm.

I do the same with glittery fabrics, because the iron "kills" the glitter if it's too hot.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:34 AM

I love Robert Kaufmans glittery Christmas fabrics. I am making Christmas Table Toppers with them. They are 18 in. round and 3 different size Dresdans, 8in. 6in. and 4 inch. One fits inside the other. They are beautiful, easy and so quick to make, chain piecing. I use Pellon fusible fleece for the batting. I love the metallic fabrics and use them all the time.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 AM

Jackie Spencer, do you have a pattern name I can look up? Sounds fun and pretty