Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metallic Thread >

Metallic Thread

Metallic Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 02:10 AM

Default Metallic Thread

Thanks to YouTube, I am no longer apprehensive about sewing with metallic thread. I thought the bobbin and top thread had to match, which was my problem. After switching to cotton thread for the bobbin, I had smooth sailing! Of course, I used a needle specifically for metallic thread. I hope this helps someone else that loves shiny threads.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:59 AM

It certainly helps me . I didn’t know how to approach it so I just didn't try , even though I love the effect . Thanks for sharing this.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:06 AM

Thank you for the tip. I love the look of metallic thread but have always been intimidated about using it. I didn't know the bobbin thread could be different. This is great and makes me want to try it.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:07 PM

I have used metallic thread on a few holiday items, and I just love the look. I also just use a coordinating thread in the bobbin.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:15 PM

Last year I made a lap quilt with fabric that had just a thin metallic line here and there. It had lots of black background but large bits of color and I don't like the way black thread makes "scars" and so I decided to use a metallic thread. I bought a spool of Military Gold from Superior and it was lovely to work with.

It wasn't at all like the scratchy and always breaking metallic threads of the 80s, nor was it the thin stretchy nylon that also broke all the time for me. It acted (and feels) just like normal thread. I also used it to monogram my hubby's name along his bowling ball towel. I did use a plain black thread on the back and had zero problems, will do again!
Attached Thumbnails eww-closeup.jpg   every-way.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 03-13-2020 at 04:17 PM.